trimmer shaft hinge with quick-release lever

• Idea
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Under Consideration
Need a quick-release, like those found under bicycle seats, implemented with a hinge between shaft parts for quick folding and transportation.  I am sure that pros would appreciate this feature, as would regular users--no need to put and remove 4 screws with 4 nuts--keep those in a bag as an option during shipping of new units.
Photo of LovedByJesus

LovedByJesus

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 7,208 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Just so realize...the folded trimmer is NOT supposed to be continually refolded...that is just to simplify shipping
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,570 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
As Paul said, the folding shaft is not designed to be folded continuously for storage.  With the shaft folded the wires connecting the motor end with the battery end are exposed and vulnerable to damage.  A "fold-to-store" design would need to take a completely different approach.  Not impossible, though. 
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,106 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Why would Pros appreciate this? Every Pro I have ever seen is usually pulling a trailer with the weed eaters up on racks for quick placement/use. Also if I’m going to take my powerhead and line trimmer and edger attatchcment somewhere Its not life and death that it takes under 10 seconds to loosen the thumb screw, depress a detent and pull the shaft from the powerhead.

Now if your talking about the carbon fiber shaft dedicated line trimmer I can see it not fitting in small cars maybe but unlikely, but how often are us regular users hauling around yard equipment?
(Edited)