Trimmer Handle set up not great for tall people

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not a Problem
I'm 6'3" and need a 36" sleeve, and there just isn't a comfortable way to set up the handle on my trimmer.  Otherwise I'm totally happy with this product, but some smart designer could probably figure out a way to make this product more comfortable for us long armed tall folks.....  
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Matthew, I'm only 6' but have to agree the handle could be a little better. If it stuck out a little more you could position it a bit lower on the shaft, which may improve comfort.

I came from a corded trimmer that was a bent shaft design. While absolutely everything mechanical about the Ego trimmers is better, the ergonomics of a straight shaft trimmer are something I'm still adjusting to. I believe the handle design could be part of that.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
A shoulder strap so you can hold it a bit lower helps a lot.  I'm 6'1 and I have to lean down to get it level.  I'm adjusting to the straight shaft, it's different.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Is the 12" different than the 15"? I haven't found my 15" to be any worse (or better) than any other trimmer I've used.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
side by side the 15" isn't much different, but the cutting angles are more diverse, you don't have to bother with that (I don't know what it was there for) metal folding down guide.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
They both use the same handle
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Does the fifteen inch trimmer have a longer shaft? That would allow the handle to be positioned a bit lower relative to the trigger. I think I'll just go with a strap/ get used to crouching a bit.
Photo of JAS

JAS

• 1,472 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Jennifer, what about a handle that is adjustable in length like a heavy duty drywall sanding stick? Make it as an option that replaces the original, with its own harness for those of us over 6'.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you have the split shaft version, i am assuming there is a little slack in the power wires going down through the center. Probably wouldn't be hard to unpin and make an extension. Just thinking out loud.
Photo of JAS

JAS

• 1,472 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Jacob, indeed!