Tried the snowblower

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
Tried the snow blower and I would say it's adequate for most situations. Mine is a typical double garage driveway but with only one side of yard that I can put snow on. As a result, situation can be difficult when it's against the wind. I have problem blowing from the far side to the other side. I've learned that the only solution is a powerful 2-stage blower. If your situation is like mine, you may want to reconsider.

As for the snow blower itself, there're few practical things you need to watch for. For example, i store my charger and battery  indoor to avoid any surprise. As a result, i need to carry the batteries in and out and they're heavy. It's one of the disadvantages of an electrical snow blower to remind you.

Also, with the batteries in hand, the battery cover doesn't stay open so it makes inserting the batteries a bit not so easy; it wants to fall and stay closed. it's not a big deal but it would be nice if's easier to insert the batteries.

The way to insert the batteries isn't the best either. You have to make sure you slide it right as there's more space around the battery holder. Same goes to the charger.

The handle, although i think you can adjust it to different angle, it tends to loosen very easily. i tightened the knobs by hand but after some pushing, i found that they became loose and thus the best rail position is if it's at the lowest.

The bottom of the front metal deck leaves some space between it and the ground. It means that it may compress any snow in between and make them stuck to the ground. This makes the leftover hard to get rid of. I had to tilt the snowblower forward so that it will touch the ground, but this uses way more energy.

The snow blower isn't easy to pull in reverse, in particular with the situation that I described just above. This is because it pressed the snow to the ground and now when you wants to reverse on the same path, the snow is creating friction.

On the plus side, I had no problem cleaning the snowbank so far. You may need to push hard into the snowbank though which requires more energy from you. However it had no problem clearing and throwing them. You may also need to clear them bit by bit. However, the metal deck pressing the snow may also make the snow hard to be "pushed in".

Overall,  it's a good snow blower but i would rate it 3/5. It would be much better if it's cheaper. In Canada it's sold for $950+taxes. I see it more adequate around $700 price range. At current price, you can get a decent 2-stage gas snow blower
Photo of Chung Tong

Chung Tong

• 296 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,066 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I personaly dont think the batteries are heavy, and to me I think its easy to slide them in the battery compartment and the extra space is for a bigger sized battery. The handle tension knobs shouldnt loosen. You spin the green knob then snap the lever closed might take some playing to get the right tension. But mine has not come loose yet.

Also theres a scraper bar that feeds the snow into the paddle, the metal housing isn't supposed to touch the ground. I have had 0 problem pulling in reverse. This is just my expirience though.
(Edited)
Photo of Chung Tong

Chung Tong

This is my first snow blower so I may not know to use it properly. The batteries are heavy to me, not super heavy, but carrying it in and out after the cold, as well as with thick coat and boots it is not as easy as leaving them in the garage. of course i can do that but i don't want to have any surprise next time when i need to clear the snow on a storm day.

for the knobs, do you tighten them then snap the lever or snap the lever than tighten the knobs? I snap the lever first and i thought that's the instructions in the manual?
Photo of Erik

Erik

I tighten the knob then snap the lever. That way it has some tension thats how I figure it anyways. I guess I didnt read the manual that far. This is my first snowblower too.

Hard packed snow at the end of driveway is tougher but I just let the blower do the work and do it slower. It doesnt always clear/scrape right to the ground but it does a more then adequate job of clearing snow.
(Edited)
Photo of Chung Tong

Chung Tong

I think the manual says "Close the quick-release levers andthen tighten the knobs to secure the
side rails in place", and I found it hard to close the lever if the knobs are tight, but I will try again.

yes the snow at end of driveway is tougher but i had no problem clearing them as well. my reminder to other potential buyers is  about the wind. with a small lot like mine i can only blow it to one side so it makes the job more difficult to go against the wind.
Photo of Erik

Erik

Well do it how you want but, i found it stays tight by twisting the green nob first then snapping the lever. It shouldnt be too hard to close, like I said play with it untill theres some tension on it, if its too hard to close back the knob off a few turns and try again.
(Edited)
Photo of Chung Tong

Chung Tong

Did you have your rail at the lowest position, or a different position? It's very easy if it's at the lowest, but if it's anywhere in between it's different story.
Photo of Erik

Erik

The rail/handle only lock into one position.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,144 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah what are you talking about? Are you using the mower to throw snow?
Photo of Chung Tong

Chung Tong

snow blower
Photo of Chung Tong

Chung Tong

at the lowest right? that's what i am not sure if it's adjustable. if it's not, that's why it loosens up in my case. then my wish list is that it's adjustable.
Photo of Erik

Erik

The handle only unfolds into 1 position as pictured. You then tighten the knobs which I circled in red, then close the quick release levers which I circled in blue.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,394 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Chung, try it this way: Loosen the knobs and then close the levers. With the levers closed, tighten the knobs as far as you can comfortably, then open the levers. Tighten both knobs a half turn and close the levers. If the levers are very easy to close, try opening them again and tightening the knobs another half turn.

Keep trying the levers after adjusting the knobs tighter and tighter until the levers are only slightly difficult to close. This should give you both a handle that is tight and levers that are not overly difficult to close.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

With regards to blowing into the wind, this is most definitely an issue and one that's made worse with lighter and fluffier snow.

When blowing into the wind, try aiming the chute down so the snow is thrown level to the ground. The throwing distance will be less, and you will end up blowing the same snow more than once, but it will keep most of the snow from blowing back at you.

When blowing heavier thicker snow you'll find the wind doesn't blow it back nearly as much and you should be able to keep the chute aimed a little higher for better distance.

Another tip: Try clearing three or four passes lengthwise up/down the driveway blowing to the side, then switch to going across the driveway blowing straight ahead. Keeping the chute pointed ahead will increase the throwing distance.

This is what I do since I live in a townhouse with a shared driveway, so I can only clear to my side. The added throwing distance blowing straight helps put the snow farther onto the lawn so I don't end up with a big pile next to the driveway that I have to blow over the next time (a real issue with my weak SnoJoe plug-in).
Photo of Chung Tong

Chung Tong

Thanks all for the suggestions. I have no problem locking the handle at the lowest position. I just thought maybe it's adjustable but looks like it's not.

I think I have to try whats' the best way to clear my driveway when it's against the wind. I did try lower the chute aiming to the lowest level, but the wind was strong that it simply blows back to the blower. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yeah, there's not much you can do if you have a strong wind blowing the wrong way... that'll always make blowing the driveway a challenge if you don't have a choice which side to clear to.