TRANSPORT BY PLANE

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • In Progress
Hello,
I purchased a blower (model LB5300) equipped with a lithium battery 2.5 AH) in Carlsbad in the large area HOME DEPOT. But I live in Tahiti (French Polynesia) and in two weeks, I have to take the plane to go home. My question is whether the transport of this battery is allowed in the cabin or in checked baggage, under what conditions? The airline AIRFRANCE seems to uthorize the transport of lithium batteries provided that they are less than or equal to 160 Wh not damaged.
It is very unfortunate that your products are not marketed in French Polynesia. It is easily found in New Zealand which is only 6 hours flight from Tahiti.
Thank you for your advice. F
Photo of Fred Solari

Fred Solari

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • GOOD

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,376 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I would suggest contacting your airline for their policy. I know Luthium batteries are restricted in many ways and each country or airline will have their own policies.
Photo of Fred Solari

Fred Solari

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I understand.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,500 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The 2.5 AH battery (at 56 volts) is 2.5 * 56 =  140 watt/hr of capacity, which is under 160 watt/hr limit you quoted.  But best to check with your airline first.

The FAA (in the USA) says:
"Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment."

So it looks like in the USA, batteries between 100-160 watt hour are at the discretion of the airline.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It might be safer to ship the batteries home rather than risk the airline's gate agent refusing to allow them on the plane.

William E Hanson

Wouldn't shipping be regulated under the same policies, if it has to be flown.?
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,500 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Different policies, but also troublesome and possibly expensive, which require the shipper to have hazardous materials shipping training and follow specific packaging and labeling requirements (at least, in the US).  In some cases they can only be shipped via "ground" (truck/boat) and not Air.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Shippers have different policies for handling lithium-ion batteries, but the big difference is that they're transporting them on a cargo plane versus a passenger aircraft.

Passenger airlines have much tougher restrictions for what they will allow on their planes, whether it's in the cargo hold or carry-on luggage. I'm a drone pilot and this comes up all the time because of the capacity of the batteries we use.

I know people in the drone community who arrive at the gate with drone batteries in their carry-on bags (which is where the airlines want them), packed exactly as the airline told them to, and the gate agent still wouldn't allow them to take the batteries on the plane.

But I have lithium drone batteries shipped to me from the manufacturer in China all the time without a problem because they're being shipped by a cargo carrier like UPS or FedEx. Millions of these batteries are shipped direct to consumers from overseas every year, so mainstream shippers do carry them. Just not on passenger jets.

It might cost a little more than shipping something that isn't a battery, but if the OP gets to the airport and they won't let him take the battery on the plane he pretty much has to throw the battery in the trash or not get on the plane. He should at least research the option.
Photo of Steven Construction

Steven Construction

• 148 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I put the leaf blower and battery in my carry on bag which I then put in the overhead bin.

William E Hanson

Thanks for the detailed information.
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,796 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Keep in mind also that regardless, they will have to be in your carry on luggage. Definitely contact your airline.