Journaling eGo use to create a longevity record
Photo of Roman

Roman

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Roman

Roman

Seeing a lot of longevity questions out there so thought I'd record usage and track my experience with Ego products. I am a new first home owner so needed a full line of tools. Decided on eGo simply because of no gas...no oil...no wires...It's like a cell phone, I just charge and go. Clueless about how the other gas powered tools work but a friend brought some over to show me...and I hated it. Solo here comes eGo, I have 1 battery 4mAh that came with the lawn mover. I'll be using that and keeping track of charges. My lawn is about 3/4 of an acre, so a bit bigger then suggested.
Photo of Roman

Roman

June 14 my first experience cutting a lawn. Ever. Grass was at best 5' and at worst 9-10' high. Plus it stormed yesterday so it's very damp. Got through it pretty nicely I would say.
Had to change height from 3 to 5 and clean under the mower where the blade is. 4 re-charges, (4 total charges so far) you can just tell going to high grass battery was draining fast. On the lower end it lasted a good 40 minutes.
Debating purchasing another 4 mAh battery though, any users have any suggestions?
By the way, one of my good friends stopped by and asked why would I get electric...when I can grab $130 gas one. Not having to smell gas or refill it just makes all the difference to me. What do you guys think?
Next week my trimmer arrives and I will have some fun learning how to use that.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,868 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This is a great idea, Roman!  We look forward to all of your posts.
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I will add my experience to this if that is okay.  I have used a lead-acid battery push mower for the last ~7 years for my lawn which takes about 50 minutes to mow.  The handle broke on that mower and the two batteries I had were not lasting quite long enough anyways so I looked for a replacement. 

I tried 2 other lithium-ion mowers first which didn't cut very well and the 2 batteries didn't even last long enough.  I then even tried a gas mower next and while it cut well and was self-propelled, handling the gas and dealing with the stink and noise was still unacceptable to me (what first drove me to electric 7 years ago).  I was hesitant to get the Ego simply because it is so relatively expensive and I knew I would not be able to get through my lawn on one charge.

I tried it anyways and am pleased with my first mowing.  The grass wasn't very high but a little damp.  I was able to get 37 minutes of mulching out of a full charge.  I then trimmed and took a little break while giving the battery a partial 20-minute charge.  Then I was able to finish mowing easily.  I still wish it came with 2 batteries given how expensive it is, but if the full-charge runtime stays over 30 minutes I will be happy.

Photo of Roman

Roman

Hi Craig. For sure. My thoughts exactly on the matter. Once battery dies I just relax, sip on a beer and clean up/ reorganize my shed for the 62nd time. :)
Photo of Roman

Roman

While I'm at this, here is an update on the longevity experiment :) so far so good. Registered all my tools online after they arrived, can't knock 5 years warranty, gives me a piece of mind for sure. Battery is now up to 12 charges, working well. I was surprised how long it lasts in any of the other tools that's not the lawn mower. I'm getting close to 4 hours run time on trimmer/hedger and blower. Wow, I guess I didn't realize how much power moving actually takes.
6/20 Did another full round of mowing front and back. 3 charges (6 total)
6/24 tools arrived so I just played around with all 3 tools for a couple of hours. (1 charge, 7 total)
6/27 Hedged left side of the house front and mowed in the back (3 charges, 10 total)
7/5 Mowed the front and Hedged some more with light trimming (2 charges, 12 total)

Running nicely and I'm getting better and better