Torque, and CC comparison.

• Idea
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Under Consideration
You guys should consider changing a couple things about whats posted on products.

You should do a CC comparable rating. Saying "as powerful as gas" is one thing, but putting a number to it is another. I was thinking about this after using the trimmer, it definitely is not as powerful, or near the cutting torque as my gas trimmer.

Another conversation brought up another idea, you guys should put a graduated run time chart. Take for instance the recent blower conversation. I noticed the blower has 5 power settings, and turbo (at least noticeable notches, you can place the dial anywhere you want). So a  Lo, Medium, High, Turbo run time chart would be better than saying (runs for an hour) but not saying that is on low.

Just a thought, but I believe comparing it to a quantified gas engine would be better, you could even be creative (out performs a 18 cc trimmer motor). I just feel the statement you guys have "Performing as well as, or better than, premium gas-powred models) is an extreme stretch, as it struggled with some jobs that the gas trimmer does in minutes. In fact it took me twice as long to get the job done in all fairness. (Comparison model is a 28.1CC high torque motor) just to give you an idea of what it was up against.

I do like the products, and plan to keep them, but I believe a comparison would be better than a statement that it out performs premium gas equipment, at least include a benchmark. 
Photo of Doc

Doc

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Doc, there's a pretty complete set of specs and run times in the manual. From page 12:

Photo of Doc

Doc

Your talking about the Blower, I am talking about the Trimmer^, of which the specs are extremely limited and on page 9 (for the 15 inch trimmer). It is however 5800 RPM according to the manual under no load (Not working) and the working load of my gas trimmer is around 10,000 RPM.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You mentioned the blower and its various settings, which is why I offered the run time chart from the manual.

As far as direct comparisons to gas models, I see your point.  A simple statement like "Outperforms most 18cc gas trimmers" would seem appropriate, but they wouldn't be able to make blanket statements about how their product DOES outperform ALL trimmers of a certain variety without getting pretty specific.

Just so we're clear, you are referring to the newer 15" brushless trimmer, correct?
Photo of Doc

Doc

Yes, the 15" Brushless Trimmer. I was wrong as well, I looked in the manual, the Gas trimmer idles at around 3500rpm, engages at around 4500 rpm, and runs wide open at 11,000 rpm. Nearly double the electric trimmer. I know this is all a start in the right direction, I just believe the statement to be a bit of an over reach.
Photo of Doc

Doc

On that note, I posted my review after having used it 3 times, twice on my lawn, and once on a neighbors. I have to say, if you are doing 1/4 acre or more, and need to edge a driveway, patio, flower bed, garage, and sidewalk, it is a LOT more work with this than my gas trimmer. And it felt like 3x the work when I compared having helped him and done it with the walk behind edger and trimmer. I really prefer the gas setup I have at the moment. This is good for little cleanup jobs though.
Photo of Not

Not

• 354 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Doc: thank you for the useful information. I want to know EXACTLY how this compares to a high-quality gas unit, NOT how it compares to some other crappy cordless or even an electric. I've never used an electric or cordless, only medium-duty to heavy-duty gas units.

Can this keep up at all if I'm trying to tear into some thick stuff like vines trying to creep up? Yes, 90% of the stuff I do it's probably fine for, which is trimming gas around spots the mower can't get to, but there are times when I need full throttle for tearing stuff up or even edging.

How does this compare a "entry-level" Echo or Stihl or a run-of-the-mill homeowner brand?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I don't think there is a perfect way to compare electric to gas. Electric is much more efficient and has virtually 100% torque throughout its power band. CC is just displacement, and is inaccurately and inappropriately used in marketing gas trimmers, and would be even more meaningless when comparing to an electric engine.

Consumer Reports categorized the 12" as "light duty battery" and it rated above almost every other electric, EVERY light duty gas, and about half of the "heavy duty" gas models. And the 15" sounds like it is even better.

There are some beastly gas trimmers that will always be more powerful than any electric, just like a huge diesel truck is more powerful than a Tesla. But the electric car is the highest rated vehicle ever, and many consumers would never consider a diesel.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It would be interesting to see that article... too bad it requires a paid subscription!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Michael just posted a pretty glowing review with his new 15" trimmer in this thread:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/15-trimmer-without-battery-listed-on-home-depot-now-bu...
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

• 1,056 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
EGO is only going to make blanket statements because drilling down to the specifics is a losing battle. If you do the math, none of their motors are even close to the torque output of a standard gas motor. Their most powerful mower at 1200 watts x 2800 RPM = approx 3 ft lbs torque. This is less than half of my $300 mower. That doesn’t mean it won’t get the job done. Different mechanical platforms also so it’s not apples to apples you really have to test these tools out. I never throw away a box. I fold them up and put them in storage. You never know when you will run into an issue or find a better product or even change your mind...