Tools in Action Video Review of Backpack Blower

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
A new video on the EGO backpack blower from Tools in Action.  Not the "most" thorough review of the blower, more or less, a personal endorsement from two guys with experienced using EGO power tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzssITgpz58

Since my purchase of this new backpack blower, I have been "very pleased" using it on a weekly basis, and now more often, with "fall" cleanup.  In so many words, it is powerful, comfortable, easy to use, and no more "hand fatigue" like the hand held models (gas and electric).  Would like to see the next generation comes with a "button lock" so you don't have to hold the "trigger" the entire time of using it.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,492 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You have me intrigued enough that I might take the suggestion up from the video and give it a whirl for 30 days to see if it is comfortable to use.  Now as it only seems to come as a kit, I guess I am back up to quite a collection of batteries and another charger.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

With all the troubles you have been experiencing with HD in CA, I can not speak for your area.  But here in the US market, HD offers both kits (with or without the battery).  Since I have never own a "gas model" backpack blower, I can not compare it to my EGO.  But first hand experience thus far, the design of the backpack is very comfortable to wear for a long period of use - I think you will enjoy this model quite a bit.  Do provide your comments once you get your hands on one and put it through a "test drive" for 30 days.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

Yes.  Up here in Canada we don't get nearly the choices nor the better prices that the USA is graced with.  We are just stuck with the left overs so it seems
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,590 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Matt, there should be a bare tool version available in Canada soon.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

I am one for getting the right tool for the job. 

In the past, I have put up with using a rake to collect the leaves in my backyard and then brown bag them for the bi-weekly pickup.  I won't say I have a huge lot.  it's around 50'x110' with a house situated in the middle, so a 30' extension cord plugged into and outside outlet on the front or back of the house will pretty much reach any point on the property.

Now I get the advantage of going battery in you are free to go anywhere without the worry of a cord.  I understand why you would want that with a lawn mower as it's cutting the grass that the cord will be laying on.  But does that really apply to a blower?  Now if I had a very large property where power cable management would be an issue I could understand free mobility would be a definite asset.  But I don't fall in that category.

I know that the EGO blowers are around if not double the power of most corded electric blowers.  Does power achieve anything other than speed of doing the job?

The EGO does blow very well but does not do anything for sucking.  I gain an advantage of blowing the leaves from one end of the small yard to another.  But that doesn't help in any way to getting the leaves into the bag at the end of the job.  I have never tried a corded blower/sucker in the past 25 years.  I know when I was a kid that my parents bought one and it didn't work all that well.  But technology has improved quite a bit since then.

How do those with a blower use them?  Are you in a type of neighbourhood that comes by with a big vacuum truck and sucks your leaves out of a ditch, so your only job is to get the leaves from one side of the yard to the other?  Or how does the blower work with gathering leaves for those who are required to bag?  

My question comes from the side of the shoulder blower is $399 CAD where an alternative branded plug in electrical blower/vac is about 1/4 that price or less.  I don't mind spending the money if I gain a serious advantage for doing so.  But it makes little sense to buy just to have a cool looking toy.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,590 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have an even smaller yard than you (for now), but this is my point of view.

I have the handheld 530 cfm blower and only a few small trees. I mainly use the blower to tidy up the driveway and sidewalk after mowing/trimming. Now that leaves are falling and collecting in our flower beds and other nooks and crannies, the blower is useful to get them all out into the yard where the mower can deal with them.

If I had larger trees and a similar sized yard I could see using the handheld blower to gather up the leaves that threatened the grass, pushing them into a more confined space where raking them would be easier. The blower won't bag them, and I have no service coming through the area to remove them.

I see the backpack blower as a total waste for my needs... too much tool for the job. On a weekly basis of just cleaning up after mowing, it would take me as long to strap the blower on as it would to do the cleanup. Now, if I had a larger property and needed to use the blower for 20-30 minutes at a time, that's where I personally see the advantage of the backpack unit over the handheld. Just the pushback from the handheld units would be enough to induce some significant arm strain over that time.

Having said that, the convenience of the handheld is tough to beat when it comes to smaller jobs like blowing out the garage or cleaning debris off the deck. Once again, I think the backpack unit would be overkill for those types of jobs.

With a larger property I can see the need for both, especially if you have lots of big leaf shedding trees around. For me right now, the handheld does everything I need it to do.

Corded vs cordless is another debate, and I personally feel cordless is worth the premium. I found with most things corded, I was spending as much time fussing with the cord as I was actually working.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Matt, my yard is approximately 15,000 sq. ft. so for me, a "cordless" leaf blower is critical.  Prior to using EGO power tools, I had all gas power tools (mower, edger, leaf blower and snow thrower).  After my gas power tools started to die on me "one at a time," and the cost of repair was "ridiculously" high, I decided to look for alternative power tools!
  1. The first tool to die on me was the string trimmer, so I bought the EGO 15" trimmer. Long story short, this trimmer has been an "amazing" addition to my power tools and can do everything I expect it to do.  Thus far, this has been the best purchase I have made so far with the EGO power tools!
  2. The second tool to die on me was the leaf blower, so I bought the Black & Decker "corded" blower.  At first, I did not want to spend too much money on a new leaf blower, so I bought the B&D for that purpose.  Due to the size of my yard, however, I had to use a 100 foot electrical cord for this tool.  Got tired of "dragging" this cord around every week, and the "hand fatigue" after using the B&D, so I decided to spend a "little more money" and purchased the EGO backpack blower.  Just like the trimmer, I can not be happier with this new tool!
My area provides leaf collection (both curbside sucking & weekly brown bag collection), so I plan to use my EGO to blow all the leaves into one corner of the yard.  After that, I will use my B&D to "vacuum & grind" up all the leaves - before dumping it into the brown bag for collection.

Based on your description, your yard is not big enough to warrant a backpack blower, so a "hand held" blower will be a better choice for you.  Like you, I am a "firm believer" in the advantages of the cordless power tools - more mobility to get around the entire house to get the job done, and of course, the obvious with no more gas, less noise, and less maintenance.  Good luck with your "final decision" on your purchase!
(Edited)
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

• 1,748 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have a backpack blower and I am using it to blow leaves under hedges and around trees, blow off my mower, tractor, driveway and distribute grass cuttings left by my tractor.

I'm not removing anything. If I were wanting to remove material I would use the tractor. I am more than likely going to get a mulching kit for it.

As small as your yard is you could use a small bagger mower like the EGO. I have not tried the bag yet.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thanks for sharing this video David. We're enjoying all of your comments!