to remove battery from charger is almost impossible, impossible now

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Out of date

LOVE the machine with one exception.  Extremely difficult to remove the battery from the charger.  Nothing really to grab hold of, and no button to push to release it.  Struggle and struggle with it, then sometimes turning the whole thing upside down works.  But this time it won't.  Have tried everything, it's stuck.  Have a LOT of mowing to do.  Is there some trick to get it out?
Photo of onlyoneme

onlyoneme

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,828 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Do you have small hands so that you can't grasp it easily?   I have large hands (glove size is XL) and I can see that someone with much smaller hands would have a heck of a time grabbing the 7.5A battery out of the charger.
(Edited)
Photo of onlyoneme

onlyoneme

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, I do have small hands.  5'1", hand stretch can reach an octave only on the piano, not any farther.
Photo of John

John

• 862 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have small hands and have no problem removing the battery from the charger.  My charger hangs on the wall using the attach holes on the back of the charger. I use my left hand and hold the bottom of the charger to keep it from coming off the screws the charger attaches to the wall with and use my right hand to lift the battery from the charger. It slips right off.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You could try prying it with something soft like a wooden spoon.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I also have issues pulling the battery out.  I definitely cannot 1 hand it  (that sounds funny).  It sure would be nice if it had some sort of easy release mechanism with a spring to get it started.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Grab the charger, flip it upside down, tap bottom of charger, this should let gravity do its job.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You should mount the charger on the wall (they are designed to be mounted on a wall). Then you can use both hands to pull the battery.
Photo of John

John

• 862 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have found you can't do that as it will lift off the attach points.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,758 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Correct.   Have you tried simply laying the charger on it's back side? It should make it far easier to remove the large battery.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

If mounted tight enough (a good interference fit) the charger should be very hard to pull off the mounting screws
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Let's assume for the moment that IF the charger falls off the wall, it breaks.  I don't know if the warranty would cover such damage.  I, for one wouldn't want to be without the charger for the time it takes to get it replaced, warranty or not.   I prefer to keep my chargers sitting on a horizontal surface.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I wondered the same thing about mounting the charger on the wall (lifting it off the screws).

I haven't actually done it so take this with a grain of salt... but I picture a two handed method where you grab the battery with both hands in between the thumb and index fingers while using the remaining fingers to press down on the top of the charger to keep it in place while lifting the battery.

I mentioned this idea a while ago in a previous thread. An ideal solution for either charger would be to have a separate bracket that screws to the wall so the charger could clip securely into it. The same bracket could be designed to work with revised designs of both chargers (and the new dual slot rapid charger that's on my wish list).
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Some time agoI made a bracket out of wood for the small charger (ie, NOT the mower charger) so that it sits upright on a flat surface (same attitude as if it were hung on a wall).  After a while I got tired of that configuration and now  have that charger sitting on a flat surface next to the larger one.  I don't really have the wall-space to spare in my shop (converted garage to a wood shop).
(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,094 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I always have my battery charger on a flat surface, and like Dave, I don't feel confident in wall mounting my charger.  So far, this has been working out fine for me.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Two rapid chargers flat on their backs with 2-sided 3m adhesive tape, and two standard chargers upside down using magnets, tape and angle iron channels. Have I gone too far? :-/
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Blue, you get an award for "maximizing" your available spaces in your garage!!!!!  You definitely know how to use every inch of your garage shelves - I might need to call you for some consultation on my garage .... : )

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ugh, it's called survival... that's what happens when a DIYer ends up stuck in a townhouse with a 10x20 garage that has to do double duty as a workshop. Not ideal, but I'm making it work!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I find myself more organized when I have "less" space than "more."  Hard to explain, but if you can see my "un-finished" basement, what a mess it is - even though I have plenty of spaces to work with.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

David, want to talk clutter?  I enclosed my back porch, installed heating and air, it was real nice.  Was basically my home theater.  Then my wife moved in with her 100 sewing machines, a ton of material and racks of thread.  Another room gone down the drain  :(
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Haha ... so true!  Speaking of the "wife," mine took over our Formal Dining Room, Guest Bedroom and the Kitchen Counter with all her stuff.  Now she is trying to use my Night Stand for her other stuff.  I am losing this battle fast !!!!!
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Once we let it happen we were doomed for life lol.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

So true ... the only safe place I have left in the house is the "family room"  ..... 

Photo of Exrace

Exrace

Blue,
Hate to see the fire when one of those batteries or charger overheat. :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Was thinking the same thing... so I made sure to use a steel cabinet this time! Not that it's a guarantee, but it's a little peace of mind. My rule will be minimum batteries in that ares, the ones that are charging. :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

@ David and SCDC, I reckon it's similar to how I seem to do my best work under pressure... the less time I have the more productive I seem to be?

I definitely get how having less space makes us more organized. If I have my way we'll be building g a house in the not too distant future, then my life-long ambition of becoming a certified pack-rat can finally come to fruition! Muhuhuhaha....
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

Nice job btw. Workmanship top notch!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Blue, that's a nice charging station.  Can I hire you to organize my stuff.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Blue, does this picture "properly" captured all your stuff?

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

SCDC, when it comes to fanagling custom stuff, I work so slow my projects literally become priceless! My wife's friends always joke about hiring me to do stuff for them, and my response is always "you couldn't afford the time or money it would take!" :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

DHD, if all the crap in that cart was tools and mechanical bits' bobs, yeah, that would about cover it!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Blue, I forgot to mention that the cart is "self-propelled" for easy transport - so you can carry more stuff without having to "pull or push" and yes, it uses a "brushless" motor ... : )
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That's my kinda cart! :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I requested a self propelled garden cart/wagon a while ago.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'd like to read an update from the OP to find out if this increasing difficulty was because there was a problem with the battery or charger snagging, causing them to get stuck, or whether it was just a matter of hand strength.

The batteries do have a bit of a "handle" or grip built into them to grab when taking them off the charger. When the battery is vertical, with the button facing up, there is a piece of plastic at the top center of the battery that is curved inward and has ridges that are intended to be used as a grip.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

Could also be some plastic "flash" on the charger or battery that is making this tighter then normal.
Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,860 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Mine just pick up easily without effort

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.