Trimmer Head Spin Direction

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Counter-clockwise trimmer please.. aside the power head ones do any of the stand alone trimmers go c-clockwise?Looks like the EGO website is getting new products but I found this new one on Grainger’s website. What way does this one turn to???? Not on EGO’s site... I’ve sold my OG 15 inch. Returned the head system because of heat issues. I picked up the carbon fold shaft one, but haven’t actually used it... it goes clockwise... noooOOoOoOoooo!!!!https://www.grainger.com/product/EGO-...Thanks
Photo of Mr Mota

Mr Mota

• 378 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The multi tool is counter clockwise. And the non auto load versions can be rotated the other direction if you wanted to modify it and have no warranty.
Photo of Mr Mota

Mr Mota

Yeah like I said I returned the head one for heat issues.... and not looking to mess with something that should be possibly an option rather than this is your choice(our EGO choice I.e.... clockwise)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Well options are expensive. And stating that it should be a option, well, that's just your opinion. In the end stocking double the inventory, double the parts for the reverse rotation "option". Sounds like a good way to are 50.00 to the cost of each tool
(Edited)
Photo of Mr Mota

Mr Mota

50 bucks? Sign me up.... He he
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

You may like it, but most won't
Photo of Keith Simmons

Keith Simmons

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am a professional landscaper who will not buy an EGO trimmer until they make one that turns CCW. Name one commercial trimmer that turns clockwise. Every commercial trimmer I have ever bought, no matter what the brand, for the last 30 years turned counter clockwise.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Get the power head. It goes ccw. It's way more powerful than the other ones.
Photo of Keith Simmons

Keith Simmons

• 64 Points
Where can I buy just the bare tool? (power head)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Bare tool is a bad purchase. The trimmer head is 100 and the bare tool multi tool is 150. For 330 you get the battery and charger. That's 80 bucks more. Much better deal
Photo of Lehigh Lawn Pros

Lehigh Lawn Pros

• 3,462 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi again Mr Mota,

Besides the PowerHead, the rear motor stand-alone line trimmer also rotates counter-clockwise. Although, it may have the same issue with heat that you experienced with the PowerHead.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Electric-15-in-Rear-Motor-String-Trimmer-Kit-5-0Ah-Battery-210W-Charger-Included-ST1534/305203561

The basic 15" line trimmer (not powerload) can be made to rotate CCW with
a simple reversal of two connections in the top of the unit. As Jacob mentioned
it would probably void the warranty. If you're interested anyway, I could provide more details.

Bob
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Keep in mind that (electrically) reversing the rotation of the trimmer may be relatively easy, but the bump head may not operate properly when spinning the opposite direction for which it was intended.

This will likely be less of an issue with the bump heads that have the green ball bearing mounted "buttons" on the bottom (original 15" trimmer).  The Rapid Reload head on the current 15" trimmer and Powerhead attachments does not have this and friction with the ground may keep it from advancing properly.

The Powerload carbon shaft trimmer has a one-way bearing in the head and may not spin CCW no matter what... I'm not intimately familiar with how it's set up, but Macgyver-ing it may mean giving up the Powerload feature.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

This is correct. The fast reload head will not work.

Power load will not work

Blue is correct. As always.
Photo of Keith Simmons

Keith Simmons

Which trimmer has more power, the power head or the rear motor trimmer? As far as weight, I assume the rear motor trimmer would be lighter.

Lehigh Lawn Pros

Hi Keith,
The PowerHead is 2000 watts, and the rear-motor trimmer is said to be 1200 watts.
I use the PowerHead with both edger and line trimmer attachments and I absolutely love it.

I previously used top-of-the-line gas powered equipment for 25 years (mostly Stihl)
and I don't think I'll ever go back to them, the PowerHead is that good.

Both the PowerHead and the rear-motor trimmer rotate CCW

Bob
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

• 2,072 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I never experienced heat issues with my powerhead.  Even if it did, I probably wouldn't notice, most likely under spec.  5 year warranty, so I don't care. 

Why is counter clockwise so important?  I have trimmers with both directions and i don't see any benefit to either or.  Use it for a few hours and you get use to it. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 71,864 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I learned on a clockwise trimmer, so that's what I prefer. The powerhead trimmer took a  little while for me to get used to, but I did. It still seems like it flings debris back at me most of the time.

I've also never noticed heat from the powerhead, but the way I held it, I really didn't come into contact with the motor housing. But I bet no matter what it was cooler than a gas engine!
Photo of Keith Simmons

Keith Simmons

I learned on a clockwise trimmer, but needed to buy better equipment when I went pro. It all turned counter clockwise, so I relearned. I am not going back, and I am not telling my 10 employees to go back, but I would buy several new EGO trimmers if they make one that turns the way all our other ones do.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Get your checkbook out! I responded to your other post. :-)

Lehigh Lawn Pros

Hi guys,

Regarding rotation direction, if I'm not mistaken, all commercial gas line trimmers rotate CCW.
So if a person has used these for many years it would be difficult/inconvenient to change.

After Mr. Mota posted in the other thread about the PowerHead getting hot, I checked mine after prolonged operation on a hot day (92-94 degrees), and the motor housing did indeed get hot to the touch. I could see that It would be very uncomfortable if your technique/grip caused your arm to stay in contact with the housing.

Perhaps future generations of the PowerHeads and rear-motors should have higher capacity cooling fans to help mitigate the heat.

Bob
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Curious why ego chose clockwise then?

A moving motor will get hot.  Last thing I want is a fan inside the motor head to add to the noise, complication and increase $$$.  A slight adjustment to the way its held is the better option. 

Lehigh Lawn Pros

Hi dhau001,

Probably because most residential-use, direct-drive electric line trimmers seem to rotate clockwise.
Line trimmers with a rear-motor and a bevel-gearbox (gas or electric) rotate CCW.

Note: The PH1400 PowerHead already has a cooling fan, it's visible through the vents in the motor housing. I was just suggesting that a higher capacity fan might help to reduce the heat build-up.

Bob
Photo of Mr Mota

Mr Mota

Much thanks to all for your contributions in this discussion....
Photo of Peter Gregg

Peter Gregg

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
When you have clockwise rotation the trimmings go into the beds. They wipe out flowers. They spin debris onto drives and walks. You would literally have to walk in the beds for this not to happen with clockwise rotation which is not an option. Even the demo video clip up against the bricks shows clippings going into the bed. You want the clippings to go onto the lawn so they get picked up by the mower or just mulch into the lawn. Pulling the tool from right to left prevents the jerking and gouging you get from going left to right. There is a reason all the commercial trimmers I've ever used spin counter clockwise. The clockwise rotation is a major blunder. How in the heck did this get past the engineers? Did they only test it in the middle of a big field of grass? Really embarrassing. The 149.00 price at Home Depot is great. Having it handle 095 line proves it's got reasonable power. No gas, lighter weight, no need for ear protection, It's got it going on except the spin direction. I'm going to try and modify the wiring. No one has positively explained how this will affect the tap feed head. I will find out. I don't use the guard and I manually trim the line with my hand pruners. I use eye protection. The guard makes these tools unbalanced. They keep bumping into things etc. etc. I've been doing this for 20 plus years. 

Lehigh Lawn Pros

Hi Peter,
 When I reversed the wiring on my basic 15" trimmer I thought I might have problems with the line feeding properly, however I used it a lot, and I don't remember having any problem with it.

I'm using the PowerHead with line trimmer attachment exclusively now,
it rotates CCW right out of the box, has much more reserve power, and can handle 
a more productive cutting swath.

I don't use the guard either, I manage the line length and sharpness by spinning it against an abrasive surface (a brick, a rock, the road, etc)

Bob
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Peter, I trim left to right and my clippings go into the yard using Ego’s CW rotation trimmer. Not that hard to figure out. ;-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 71,854 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I learned on a clockwise trimmer and prefer it, and like Blue said, no problem with trimmings going where I don't want them. It just depends on your technique and which trimmer you learned on.

With a CCW trimmer, for example, I end up having the trimmings blow back all over my feet and legs. I just have to relearn how to use the trimmer.
Photo of Keith Simmons

Keith Simmons

As a lawn pro of 30 years, I'd say Peter Gregg has it exactly right! I've got the EGO 21 inch mower for what little need we have of 21" mowers these days and the blowers are fantastic. So I've got chargers and batteries. All I need is CCW turning trimmer from EGO. Thanks in advance!
Photo of Mr Mota

Mr Mota

Yes sir your assessment to provide ammo for the trimmer to spin CCW is good. From what I’ve seen on here by simply reversing 2 wires will make it go CCW... having the new auto feed and as you stated how this may affect the bump ... I’ve been thinking of actually adding a switch to flip to CCW cut and then back to EGO mode wrong way, bump, autoload etc... will see
(Edited)
Photo of Keith Simmons

Keith Simmons

The switch is a great idea! Then everybody could choose their preferred direction. Some left handers probably like it the way it is now, but if a simple switch could be installed, it would end the debate. I personally don't need the speed load function. EGO could just use a speed head like Echo and other companies sell and get by just fine. Thanks again for a great product and making it better!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

This would probably require two bump heads, one that fed string in each direction, but even still it’s a great idea!
Photo of Stéphane Cl

Stéphane Cl

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The 3-4 years old husqvarna 536 Lil has a button that allows you to reverse the spinning direction at any time based on the situation. I don't expect product directors to read forums, but it would be great if a similar functionality could be implemented on future EGO models.
(Edited)
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Such a simple solution to make everybody happy. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.