Ego for the win!
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,554 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Did they do a mulching review? :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,570 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Of the five battery mowers tested (Kobalt/Greenworks 80V, Echo 58V, Ryobi 40V and Ego SP) they claim the Ego had the best cut quality.

Can-o-worms anyone? :-)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,912 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I haven't used the others but have little doubt the Ego is the best cut quality. The issue arises that many are comparing the cut to a gas mower. The Ego is probably on par with average gas mowers, but not the very best ones.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
if it's going to talk the talk by costing as much as many of best gas mowers, it needs to walk the walk.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,368 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Seriously, why do you have to pollute every forum thread with negativity.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I think the market will probably be the ultimate judge on that.

But as long as Ego can't produce them fast enough to keep them on shelves, and independent reviewers consistently say they are among the best mowers made, individual complaints will likely just end up on an engineer's desk for consideration in future products.

Lots of electric products cost more than their gas counterparts at first. Just look at how much Teslas cost. And even for that price a Tesla might plow you into the side of a truck and kill you. Yet people line up for them. Sometimes being on the bleeding edge of technology hurts a little bit.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Well, I certainly agree with you about complaints sitting on an engineer's desk since independent reviewers give the mowers a good grade.  That's exactly and do mean exactly what happened with the original mower. We didn't get any changes until the second mower...ie...cutting height but that whole situation went south pretty fast.

I really do hope those independent reviewers start actually purchasing their mowers because homeowners are only going to remain ignorant for so long.  Competition will get better.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

If Honda has made the decision to license and rebadge Ego-produced products in some markets, I doubt they or anyone else is going to catch up to Ego, much less surpass them, in terms of product design and engineering. At least not anytime soon.

I really think all the 21" Ego mower needs is a better blade. Of course that's what I said about the 20" Ego mower too, and the blade is one of the few things that was almost completely unchanged. The variable speed motor is a game-changing improvement, it just needs to be matched to a blade with more lift to compensate for the lower speed.

And of course the warranty service is an issue, but the near-term solution to the warranty service is probably something like a strategic partnership with UPS. A lot of warranty repairs are completed at UPS hubs without ever going to a third party service center or back to a manufacturer.

And at least some of the high reviews are from companies that don't accept product from manufacturers, they exclusively buy from retailers to ensure the products aren't altered in any way.
Photo of Rob

Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FZPSq70Jbs
Did you see that Greenworks Pro mower stripe his yard?  Wow!

The cut looked almost 3D compared to what I assume was the right side of the screen where used the Ego.  Could be the angle though.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,570 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
DC, "The Torque of Gas, The Cut of Electric" just doesn't have a nice ring to it. :-)

I personally think cut quality is not something the average person concerns themselves with too much. And since cutting the lawn is seen as more of a chore by most, I would think that many look to battery mowers as a convenience first; no gas/plugs/smell and no cord, the best of both worlds.

I certainly fit that description when I bought my Ego mower.

Where it becomes a problem is people who never had any issue with the way their previous mower performed, or at least never really thought about it, and then notice something worse about the cut after spending on a premium priced product. I certainly would understand if they somehow felt that wasn't right.

Now once again, based on the reviews I have to assume the mower is doing a great job for most who own it. There's just no way it couldn't be. However, I can certainly see why many people would be happy with it and some would not...

I'm the guy who sits in the home theatre sound demo room and tells the sales guy straight up that the system doesn't sound good, that there's no real midbass and what there is all seems to come from the corner of the room... before he pulls all of the big hollow boxes off the wall revealing nothing more than the jewel cube mini speakers and compact subwoofer. I had no idea who's products I was listening to, but I immediately saw right through that Bose marketing crap, and in a room set up to make their products sound their best, no less. I'm no audiophile, by definition anyway, but I can tell when something sounds like trash.

I knew next to nothing about lawn mowers when I bought my Ego, well, not about the cutting part anyway. I wanted to cut the cord! Fortunately for me the cut quality on my lawn is pretty good, and I have gotten to the point where I know a bit about mowers and also spend a lot more time looking at and caring for my lawn. Not quite a Lawn Care Nut, but getting there.

Hopefully as I become more and more into looking after my lawn, Ego continues to be part of that. We're talking about buying a property and building a house, and if that happens I'll probably end up with about a half acre or more of grass to maintain. Not only that, but a half acre of grass that I planted and grew from scratch. At that point my lawn will definitely be something I take a TON of pride in and there's no way I will be willing to make excuses for my lawn mower.

Cutting that much grass, the 21" SP definitely looks like an attractive machine. But if it doesn't do my lawn justice... well, I'll be looking at my options. Speculation... the realist's way of day dreaming. :-)
Photo of Rob

Rob

Very very well said. That was good and balanced.

I only ended up buying the Ego mower because I destroyed my gas one by accident. It was a nice Cherry red TroyBilt mower. It was a very good mower. Cut like a dream.

While out looking for a replacement, I came across the Ego mower. The idea of cutting the cord and not having to deal with maintenance became more and more appealing to me so I went for it.

While I may not have the best lawn in the city, my lawn competes for best in my neighborhood and I did notice a cut quality difference. What jumped out first to me though was the low cut height.
(Edited)