Thinking about the power head with weed trimmer and the hedge trimmer?

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • In Progress
I figured out buying the Edger with the power head either with the 2.5AH battery or without maybe the way to go for price. I will also need to buy the string trimmer. How much run time will I get with the 2.5 AH battery instead of buying the power head with the 5AH battery. 
I also see that many are compelling about the hedge trimmer attachment that it is too heavy and hard to handle, what do you think? I have hedges that require me to use a small step ladder to trim the tops where I was using a 24" electric Hedge Hog trimmer.. Its basically shot, very dull now. I am debating if I should just keep using the 24" trimmer and get the EGO brushless one with the 2.5AH battery. Ive read with the hedge trimmer you get lots of trim time with the 2.5AH battery.. Plus its rated very good.  I guess what's important for me to figure out is should I go for the articulating hedge trimmer attachment or go for the normal 24" one?  Also the run time using the weed trimmer with the 2.5AH battery instead of the 5Ah version.. It will be lighter and I would have another 2.5AH battery for backup when I take it on some jobs I have planned for it.?
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,500 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Powerhead Hedge trimmer attachment is great for tall bushes.  I hope never to use a ladder when trimming again.  No ladder and no cord - what could be better !!
I have had great performance and great results.
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

What about the weight and trimming lower bushes where the pole is not really needed? Do you need both? Also what about the battery size on the power head? Who much run time with the 2.5AH? Also the lighter weight is a plus, right? 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,500 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Actually the bigger battery can be a nice counter weight at times.

If you have ever used a pole saw (powered or manual) you know the balance and ease or difficulty of use vary greatly depending if you are using it straight up or out to the side, near by or fully extended.  There is a trade off at certain points but if it is a short time period it out weighs the getting out a ladder and working from it.

I have never noticed an issue with run time, but I do not have a huge hedge line, just some bushes scattered about the yard.

Lower bushes are fine as the head pivots, but for some small round bushes I have I am glad to have previously purchased the stand alone trimmer as it would be tough to maneuver the power-head on those. 

Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,486 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Agree with you szwoopp. I used the power head + hedge trimmer attachment with the 2.5 AH battery and I  find the weight to be fine, but the balance is heavily tilted towards the trimmer end of the tool. A 5.0 AH battery would undoubtedly balance better, but weigh a little more. For the amount of cutting time I need, the 2.5 is adequate for me.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Craig, consider the EGO Backpack Link to take weight off of the hedge trimmer attachment. Long reach articulating is safer with your feet on solid ground and saves time not having to go up and down the ladder plus moving it every few feet. I have 2 long reach hedge trimmers; smaller Black and Decket 18v and a commercial grade Echo telescoping power head pole saw and hedge trimmer attachments. Seriously considering the EGO hedge trimmer attachment since I already have the power head with pole saw and string trimmer attachments. I also plan to alleviate the weight issue with the Backpack Link.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The battery isn't the weight that is the issue with the hedge trimmer attachment. The attachment itself is heavy, but that's because ot's very big and robust.

I'm in the same situation as the OP. I have a burning bush in front of my front porch that requires a stepladder in order to reach the top. And it's on a slight hill, making the step ladder a dicey proposition.

For that alone the reach of the hedge trimmer is worthwhile. I'm never going back to my smaller trimmer and ladder for that task.

I do use the hedge trimmer attachment for a few other tasks, but I do revert to my smaller trimmer for smaller shrubs that are close to the ground. The light weight and nimbleness wins out there.
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

So you need both types of trimmers to cover all the bases.
I wish I could give it a try before I buy.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,128 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well, technically you can. Home Depot has a 90 day (1 year if using an HD credit card) no questions asked return policy.
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Lots of good testing on the HD web site for the articulating trimmer. Most of the negative comments were based on the weightt and control issues. But many did not say it was an issue .

Like you said I could try it out and if it doesn’t work for me I can bring it back. I’ve been doing my hedges with a corded hedge trimmer and step latter so not having the 100 foot cord would be an improvement. I have cut two cords s over the years
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
For me it's more a matter of I already had a small trimmer but needed the multitool trimmer to safely reach the top of the tall bush. I just chose not to get rid of the other trimmer. If I were starting from scratch and could only have one it would be the multitool trimmer because of the reach.
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

I was doing some research and came across this web site.. Here is a shootout for the popular cordless hedge trimmers.. Who won
https://opereviews.com/landscaping/hedge-trimmers/best-cordless-hedge-trimmer-shootout-2018/
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,266 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Top 2 $419 v $169
I'll take the $169 Ego
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

plus they used the 2400 not the newer 2410 model for comparison
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Comprehensive review, but in the end most of us chose EGO as our platform of choice or we wouldn't be on this forum. It's best to stick with what you have and build on it vs. owning a mixture of brands primarily the ability to share batteries.
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

I agree about having the same batteries, only makes sense. I just posted that link since it was a good review on hedgers.