There is a clear fluid leaking from my LM2000 & mower will not start. Is this liquid a lubricant???

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
EGO 2000
Photo of Luis Aponte

Luis Aponte

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Interesting... first I've heard of this.

What quantity of fluid? There's only grease in the motor bearings as far as I'm aware, and only a very small quantity of it.
Photo of Luis Aponte

Luis Aponte

About 2 ounces . Not sure maybe more. It dries itself after a while. The battery is fully charged. Only thing that it turns on is the headlights
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The only liquid I know of is from the following mention in the battery manual:

Under abusive conditions, liquid may be ejected from the battery; avoid contact. If contact accidentally occurs, flush with water. If liquid contacts eyes, additionally seek medical help. Liquid ejected from the battery may cause irritation or burns.
Photo of Luis Aponte

Luis Aponte

Not the Battery. It is perfect shape. Looks brand new.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Don't be fooled by the looks.  I'm scared to ask this, but have you put it in the charger to see if it charges normally?  But quote honestly, I hope you don't touch anything and talk to a representative Monday. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Did anything happen when it stopped working and started leaking? I don't know what kind of lubricant is used in the motor, but I don't think it would be clear. Could something have spilled on it?

I would definitely call Ego before messing with it any more, just make sure you have the serial number from the mower and battery. Electricity and water don't play nice together, and it sounds like there could be a short or something loose in addition to the unknown fluid.

You aren't supposed to clean with water, but I have pressure washed mine and the water getting inside the motor area hasn't caused any problems with it turning on.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

What Mr. Cline said, about waiting to call EGO.

2 ounces is a log of liquid and there is nothing but the cells that would leak a clear liquid, unless you had a buildup of water somewhere.  Personally, I would avoid my mower like the plague if something started to leak.  I would roll it over a tarp, or something to keep the liquid from seeping into the ground and then contact EGO.  How old is your mower/battery?  If it is under 90 days, I would take it back to HD and get it replaced.

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Did the liquid solidify to a wet waxy looking substance? If so, it is the PCM (phase change material) inside of the battery that wraps each cell.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If not, spit on the liquid. If it beads up it is a oil based liquid. If not its not a lubricant.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Any update on what happened with your mower or where the liquid came from?
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Luis! I see that you called in on Friday and spoke with Lina, who placed an order for a replacement mower. We would still very much be interested in seeing pictures (or video) of this clear liquid that is leaking from your old mower, if you could send that to support@egopowerplus.com. Also, don't forget to give us a call or email us with the new serial number off of your new mower once it arrives. 
Photo of Luis Aponte

Luis Aponte

Sent pictures of dried stain and a couple of pictures of the Battery. The liquid is no more. I placed it on its side and no liquid is currently coming out. Unfortunately,for me, the lawnmower is still not working. I will call in when new one arrived.