The new 530CFM blower

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
The new 530CFM blower dead after about 20 minutes of use. Is anyone else having this problem? Was wondering if there is some type of design flaw in the circuitry? I tried o make it start with fully charged ego batteries, but no go.
Photo of Larry

Larry

• 800 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
How do you mean dead? What happens when you put a freshly charged battery in and pull the trigger?

I ask because mine consistently has an issue with one of my four batteries. It works perfectly with the 2.5Ah, 4.0Ah, and 7.5Ah batteries, but every time I put the 2.0Ah battery in and pull the trigger the motor starts to rev for about half a second and then cuts off. The funny thing is that the 2.0Ah battery works fine in the string trimmer, hedge trimmer and even mower, so the battery isn't defective.

I haven't called yet about this since it is a minor issue and I have several other battery options, including the 2.5Ah battery it came with. But it is an odd compatibility issue between a working battery and working blower that would be difficult to troubleshoot without having multiple tools and batteries.
Photo of Larry

Larry

I had a fully charged 4.0 AH battery, While I was using it about 20 minutes, the blower just stopped. Thought it might be that battery drained. I put that battery in the charger and it showed 50% charge left, but just to make sure I charged it up completely. While it was charging up I put in another fully charged battery, 2.0 ah and when you pull the trigger, nothing happens at all. I put in the orginal battery that was working originally again fully charged, pulled the trigger and nothing happens. I took the blower over to my neighbor who recommended this blower to me because he has one a year older, and he could not get the blower to function. So with my experience and my neighbor experience who has all the EGO tools agreed that this blower was dead after 20 minutes of use.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Larry, give Customer Service a call at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) 8:30-8:00 M-F 10:00-6:00 S/S, or if they're not available by phone send them an email at:

support@egopowerplus.com

Include your contact information, a description of the issue you're having, and make sure your tools and accessories are all registered:

http://egopowerplus.com/pages/registe...

Someone from the Customer Service team will get back to you ASAP, help troubleshoot your problem and get you the help you need.
Photo of Larry

Larry

EGO is sending me a replacement. There is something not right in the circuitry of the blower, or maybe the motor itself. I first tried just going to a Home depot store and have a replacement on the spot, but the stores in Alaska are not carrying the 530 CFM blower, 7 to 10 days to get the blower if EGO can verify that I purchased the blower from Home depot. They should be able to because I registered the blower and emailed in the receipt as soon as I got the blower. 20 minutes later the blower quit.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Larry, we're very sorry to hear about your blower.  Please keep us posted once you receive your replacement and know that we stand behind our products to make things right for you.
Photo of Larry

Larry

Update on the replacement on the 530 cmf blower. Again after approximately 20 minutes of using the blower in turbo mode, the unit died, Battery still good, extra battery was fully charged. Something is not correct in the circuitry of the blower, Either in the motor or battery electronics. What ever it is, it does not like being pushed in turbo mode. I am not sure that the turbo mode is what caused the replacement blower to fail, but it failed on turbo mode this time. EGO, I would be glad to send you back both blowers so your Quality Control arm can take both of them apart and find out why they are failing. For me its just a pain to not get anything accomplished but a partial driveway cleaned.
(Edited)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Larry, are you saying that 20 minutes of blowing on turbo only cleared half your driveway? Really?

Even if 20 hours on turbo sounds excessive for most people, it should be stated in the manual that you can't do that if it's going to damage the blower. For the motor should be designed for it to cut off before the damage is done.

°°°°°° my experience °°°°°°
I have the 480 CFM blower and rarely need to run it on turbo. Of course trying to move piles of leaves isn't the best use for a blower.

I would blow everything radially into the center of my lawn to make a pile if my lawn was huge. But I blow down to the curb and finish off (raise the pile and dump) with a rake.

The blowers on turbo use much more power per minute than any of the other Ego tools. So I just scale the use of my blower for what it's designed to do.

I saw a review where a person purchased a blower from three different brands. Ego, Echo and I can't remember the 3rd. But even at high (not turbo) they don't last that long. I think one of them only lasted about 15 minutes? Currently, it's the nature of the beast.

Just my experience.
Photo of Larry

Larry

Addendum to last post. This might be of some help to EGO in troubleshooting the problem with the new blower. When I pull the trigger to run the blower, the battery turns red. Once I let go of the trigger the battery goes back to green. This happens on both of the batteries I tried. Since this was my first experience with any EGO products I thought that this might be normal. My fried who has the older model blower says that is not normal. I don't know if its correct or not. All I know is that both blowers lasted no more than 20 minutes before breaking.

Official Response
Larry, are you starting the blower in turbo mode or going from low to high to turbo?  Because of the strain on the power that turbo mode causes, you could be overloading the circuits by starting in turbo mode.  Have you tried running the blower for a few seconds on low then go to high and then push the turbo button?  Turbo is meant as a boost here and there.  It's not meant as a setting to be used for 20 full straight minutes at a time.  Also, does the blower not work at all now after your 20 minutes of turbo use?
Photo of Larry

Larry

Let me start off with the first blower, That blower was in continuous use at the 1800 RPM when it stopped working. The battery was fully charged, but the red light always came on while using the blower. Since this was my first EGO blower, I assumed that this was a normal operating condition. The second blower, I started off in the high 1800 RPM, the battery turned red, but since this was the way the first blower worked, I did not think anything of it. I had a lot of rocks to get off my driveway and I then pressed the turbo mode (2300 RPM) and was using the blower in that mode when the second blower died.

Here is my issue with your statement. The blower is rated and advertised, both on the box and on the blower as a 530 CFM blower. The only way you can get 530 CFM is to run the blower with turbo. Since this is the advertised output of the blower, then it should operate at 530 CFM day in and day out. Not for 20 minutes.
I actually read the operators manual all 23 pages and nowhere does it say that you should not use the turbo mode for only a few minutes at a time or you will kill the blower. What the owner’s manual does say (page 17) is that “to enhance the air velocity, press the boost button to temporarily amplify the air speed to the maximum.” (Of course the maximum is the advertised 530 CFM that the product is rated at.)

I am just a consumer who was really thrilled that EGO had produced a blower that would deliver 530 CFM and I was not worried if that meant that I had to use the turbo mode to get the 530 CFM

Now that this is the second blower that has failed, I will not be pressing the turbo mode any more and will have to be happy with a maximum of 400 CFM.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Question Larry; when each blower failed which battery was on the tool?
Photo of Larry

Larry

I was using the 4 am battery. for any one interested I am giving the link where you can see that both new 530 blowers are dead after about 30 minutes of use. It was recorded on my phone,.
https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/b...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

What other Ego tools do you have? Does that 4Ah battery work ok with them?
Photo of Larry

Larry

I personally only have the rapid battery charger and the EGO 530 blower.  My friend has the lawnmower, and older style blower, and a rapid battery charger.  I purchased my 530 CFM blower and rapid battery charger on his recommendation that the products he owns have been reliable.  The 4 AH battery has been used in his lawnmower and blower.  He has not had any problems with the battery working in any of his products.  The blower is a new product, I don't know what real life testing was done  before the 530 CFM blower released to the public.  If you look at my above posted video you will see that the 530 blowers are not up to EGO standards.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
While I must admit I have relatively little use on my new 530 CFM blower, I devised a test and compared it to the 480 CFM model. The 530 exceeded the performance of the 480 in a way that seems reasonable considering the rated performance of each tool.

My experience with the 480 has been fantastic over the last two years, and I would expect nothing less from the 530.

Regarding the application, check out this video. I don't want to dispute the intended use of the turbo mode, but the blower this guy used in his testing sure puts up with quite a bit of turbo use, over and over through the whole battery life:

http://youtu.be/8jPgrPtGH7o

I would expect the new blower to perform the same way.

Out of curiosity, I tried my 530 out with the three different battery models I have, 2.0Ah, 2.5Ah, and 4.0Ah. With all of them, the blower starts up in both high and turbo modes just fine, never a red light on the battery, always green.

There's something odd going on... hopefully the Ego techs can figure out what it is.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Blue,

I use the Turbo probably 3/4 of my run time with the blower.  It takes a lot of air to get the debris out of my rock beds.  Turbo offers quite a boost.  I've stated in the past, I would like Turbo to be a permanent option on the switch.  Low/High/Turbo
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Blue, you've confirmed there is an issue with either my 2.0 battery or 530mph blower. I had decided the battery just couldn't handle the power draw, but apparently that isn't an issue with yours.

Guess I will have to call and troubleshoot to see which has an error. So weird since both work when paired with any other tool/battery.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

My personal feeling is, the turbo mode is isolated from the speed switch simply to extend the run time for average users doing average things.

As you point out, there are certain applications where full throttle is necessary. But, if he tool was left in its current configuration and simply incorporated its maximum speed into the speed selector on the front of the tool, I think a lot of people would end up using much more air than necessary to do the job, and do so a significant percentage of the time. The result would be unecessarily reduced run time and reduced customer satisfaction.

Offering a turbo mode to give you a little boost when you need it is smart, in my opinion. And the way Ego incorporated it into the tool, pressing the turbo button for that boost is not an ergonomic issue, for me at least.

Just to be clear, I'm not speaking for Ego, these are my own opinions. :-)

I've spent some time very near to product development in the past and one consistent trend pops up when it comes to satisfying people: it is nearly impossible to produce a product that will be all things to all people, and sometimes the customer tells you what they think they want, when what they really need is something different.

I was on a course last week in Pennsylvania and had the absolute pleasure to meet and hang out with a couple of lead product Engineers from one of the leading US power tool brands. We spent about two hours over dinner discussing some recently released products as well as how they go about designing their products in the first place. As a tool nerd, diner dates don't get much better than that! Pathetic maybe, but I AM married... :-)

An incredible amount of time goes into the conception of power tools, and user feedback plays a HUGE role in that. So these guys boil it all down into categories, separate the data, look for trends and outliers, and then cross-reference that information with the capabilities of the hardware components they have at their disposal (electronics, batteries, motors, etc). In many cases new hardware is developed to meet the desired goals, especially in segment leading products, but there are many cases where decisions need to be made as to what can be realistically offered.

Once this is all set out they align this insight as best they can with the AVERAGE targeted user. Even the bleeding edge of high end cordless power tools are, in reality, mass market products. We're not talking about the tools used on the International Space Station, for the most part we're talking about the construction trades.

I would bet if I had the chance to sit down to dinner with Ego's lead Engineers the story would be much the same. Giving the customer everything they think they want, all the time, may not be the best solution for every customer. I personally think the turbo button is a clever idea that will pay off for the average user, but everyone is different.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

DC, what are your symptoms?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

What are the lights on the batteries doing?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The 2.5Ah is lights green and works in both, the 2.0Ah does not light in any tool (will light up if pressed, immediately shuts off when tool turned on), but works fine in all except the blower.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Very strange... Perhaps a shout to Ego is in order for some troubleshooting?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Replacement battery works great, so it was definitely a battery issue. No telling how long it had been working for me with this hidden defect, since only the brand new 530 CFM blower had a problem with this battery.

Makes me wonder if the new blower has some new battery protection feature built in that is different than all the other tools have. I am pretty sure that the blower on turbo is the biggest power draw of any tool, so it makes sense it would have the most advanced battery sensor built in.

I'm hoping Ego will shed some light on this once they get my return battery back (after I take it across town to a special FedEx location that accepts dangerous goods) and complete their testing. But then again I doubt they'll divulge that much info about how their battery protection technology works.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Based on some very rough math:

480 CFM Blower = 600W
530 CFM Blower = 750W

The 21" SP mower is rated at 1000W, but that's a peak rating and won't draw that much continuously.

I believe you're right, the new 530 CFM blower is the new power draw king of the Ego lineup.
Photo of Larry

Larry

Update from EGO customer service. Ego is sending me two return labels to return the two blowers and find out what is making 530 CFM Blowers fail.

Larry, thanks for giving us a chance to research the issues you have had.  We want you to be satisfied with your purchase and not have to settle.  Please keep us posted.
Photo of Larry

Larry

question for any EGO expert, or employee. Is there any reason not to run the EGO 530 blower in turbo mode all the time? I understand that it drains the battery fast but that is not a reason as most people end up with at least two batteries.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Larry,

I should have asked the same question a long time ago.  As I frequently state on the forums that I run it just about all of the time on Turbo.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Same here. I don't use turbo much, but when I do I don't hold back.

Larry, you can run the blower on turbo all the time.  We just suggest not starting the blower on turbo.  Allow the tool to start on low and then ramp it up after a couple seconds.  It just puts less strain on the motor.  Think of it as starting your car and going from cold to 5th speed.  It's just a good practice to start on low and then ramp up.  We didn't mean to give you the impression that you can't use Turbo all the time.  We're really just trying to protect the motor.  Also, many people don't know that Turbo will drain your battery quickly (we know you know!) and figured if we suggest occasional use vs. constant use, the run time wouldn't be as affected.
Photo of Sconkworks .

Sconkworks .

• 60 Points
Well, if ramping up is the recommendation then a variable speed trigger should have been provided.  I don't think anyone is going to start on low and ramp up to high with the current control arrangement.  That is something I liked about the Ryobi 40v blower, but it lacked power.
Photo of Steve Warren

Steve Warren

• 984 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'd like to chime in here briefly to put things into perspective. As Jennifer stated, you should give the blower a chance to warm up before going to turbo. Regardless of whether the motor is gas or electric, heat will be generated which also has the effect of expanding materials. This is normal and is always accounted for when engineering any machine. Simply run the motor for 30-60 seconds to warm it up and you should stress the motor as much as a cold start straight to turbo.

Also, if you need more run time in turbo, consider getting the 7.5ah battery which will have roughly twice the normal run time.

Still confused? Think of it this way. Cold start straight to turbo would be like using a fighter engine at max propulsion on a bicycle. Not a great idea as you'd destroy the bicycle in the process.

Treat your tools with respect and they'll do the same to you for many years to come!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Since the 530 CFM blower kit includes the 2.5Ah battery, using the 7.5Ah battery would roughly triple the expected run times.

Turbo would increase from 10 minutes to 30, and high would increase from 20 minutes to 60.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

It is absolutely mind-blowing to me that the blower can drain batteries faster than the self-propelled mower.

That said, I have used my blower with the 7.5Ah battery and it really wasn't unpleasant. You do lose a bit of maneuverability, but it isn't too tiresome since you don't have to lift it up like the hedge trimmer or the string trimmer when edging.
Photo of Steve Warren

Steve Warren

• 984 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It's basically the difference between a prop and a turbine jet engine.  Props are more fuel efficient but produce less thrust.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Steve,

You don't need to warm up the motor for any number of seconds. Jennifer did not say that.

Warming up gas mowers allows time for the oil to circulate and re-coat the metal parts and seals. And for parts to expand to get the clearances right for normal operation. Plus, the temperature of the engine directly effects the burning of the fuel.

Electric motors don't have any of those considerations at all. Just one small bar/rod spinning on a couple bearings.

The reason starting the blower on a lower speed helps is that electric motors draw a lot more amps at lower speeds under load as they are spinning up.

Examples...

It's the reason your inside AC or furnace fan in a house needs a time delay fuse for the fan/motor start up. Otherwise you would blow a normal fuse. The time delay fuse can handle a huge number of amps for a very short period of time while the motor spins up.

Like if you have an electric saw or drill and it jams, and you keep your finger on the trigger you'll likely fry your motor. The windings would simply melt the insulation right off... Unless the built in protection kicks in.