The joint holding two shafts of my 15" trimmer cracked just during normal use!

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • In Progress
The joint holding two shafts of my 15" trimmer cracked just during normal use and I don't see a replacement part available. Is this covered under warranty? Not very sturdy.
Photo of Dana B

Dana B

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 71,864 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I've never heard of one cracking, and the one on mine is solid as a rock. But manufacturing defects do happen. The aluminum may have been poured wrong. It would be covered under Ego's five-year warranty. Give Customer Service a call (and make sure your tool is registered if it isn't already, to help speed along the process). 

CS can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).
Photo of Dana B

Dana B

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks much.  Customer service was great and sent me a new joint. What they didn't mention is how to get the old one off without dismantling the head or handle.  Any help there?
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 18,512 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Should be fairly simple; joint attached to shaft could be loosened using the supplied Allen wrench to replace. This allen wrench was shipped with your string trimmer to use to assemble the joint. Your owners manual should have a schematic of how things fit in an exploded drawing.
Photo of George E Corwin

George E Corwin

• 628 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm sorry to hear that!  I'll be purchasing my Ego trimmer tomorrow and you've convinced me to go with the carbon shaft.  Plus, I'll be carrying the trimmer around in the back of my Kubota RTV so for me,  the aluminum shaft would be more likely to break.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 62,368 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
George, I believe OP is referring to the hinge and not the shaft. Hinges on both models are made of aluminum. Only the shafts are different. It would likely be best to buy the straight shaft model (no hinge) to eliminate that concern. 

OP, would you mind posting a pic of the crack? It would be interesting to see where it is on the hinge.
Photo of George E Corwin

George E Corwin

Oregon Mike

I appreciate your comment.  I've researched the Ego trimmers to death but guess I thought both hinges were split. So the aluminum shaft is not split?  Mike, I'm easily confused.  Which model has the straight shaft?
(Edited)

William E Hanson

• 18,616 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
They're all straight shaft, but the carbon fiber isn't split with a hinge ( packaging and shipping reasons).
Photo of George E Corwin

George E Corwin

William,

Thanks much for the clarification.  I will be buying the carbon fiber model tomorrow, Home Depot.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

To clarify (I hope!) further: Both trimmers are available as either split shaft or straight shaft.

The straight-shaft trimmers are solid shafts with no hinge in the middle. The split shaft trimmers have the aluminum hinge, but they are not made to be folded and unfolded. They're sold this way to make the box they're sold in smaller and more easily transported. Once you bolt the shaft together they're meant to stay that way.

Aluminum straight shaft: https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-POWER-15-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-String-Trimmer-Kit-w-Rapid-Reload-Head-2-5Ah-Battery-210-Watt-Charger-ST1502F/300993976

Aluminum split shaft: https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-String-Trimmer-Kit-with-Foldable-Shaft-G3-2-5-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-ST1502SA/307717166

Carbon fiber straight shaft: https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56V-Lith-Ion-Cordless-Electric-15in-Powerload-String-Trimmer-Carbon-Fiber-Straight-Shaft-Kit-5-0Ah-Battery-Charger-ST1524/304972003

Carbon fiber split shaft: https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt-Lith-ion-Cordless-Electric-15-in-Powerload-String-Trimmer-w-Carbon-Fiber-Shaft-2-5Ah-Battery-Charger-ST1521S/303419976
(Edited)
Photo of George E Corwin

George E Corwin

Ken,

Thank you so much for your total clarification.  What is puzzling to me is why after months researching the Ego's, I wasn't able to find this information.  The young Home Depot representative was less than helpful. As for me, I fear senility is setting in!
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

You and me both!

As is the case with any big chain retailer, the quality of help at Home Depot can be hit or miss. I've found some employees to be very well trained within their particular departments, while others can be considerably less helpful.

Ego's own website is pretty good. With the trimmers, you do have to enter each product's page, then scroll down to see the various configuration options. You can find the trimmer pages here: https://egopowerplus.com/power-string-trimmers/

I remember buying Ego's original 12-inch trimmer, which I believe was only straight shaft. Getting it home was a challenge, even in my Jeep Cherokee. I've really appreciated the split shafts for that reason and have found them to be very solid once bolted together.

Of course, if you order the trimmer online and UPS delivers it right to your door, transportation isn't a concern!

William E Hanson

• 18,616 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Ken, to further clarify. All EGO string trimmers are straight shaft; only that some are split shaft for the shipping efficiency. Other brands have curved or straight shafts.

While we're on this subject, the power head and attachments options are most versatile that I love, not to mention more economical to own more tools for the money spent.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

William, I'm providing the nomenclature Ego uses to differentiate between the models --- straight and split. That's what counts when someone is trying to make a purchase decision.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 62,368 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes, straight means no hinge. Split means it has a hinge. While all the shafts are not curved, EGO uses straight to mean no hinge.
And as Ken further clarified, above, the aluminum shaft models and the carbon fiber models come in both straight (no hinge) and split (hinge).