The headlights DO work to mow at night!

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
I've had the 21SP mower for several months and not until tonight did I try nighttime mowing.  Pleased to report, it was doable.  I wasn't in a pitch-dark area, but it was dark enough to know that had it been pitch dark, I'm confident I'd still be able to see well enough to mow safely.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 18,046 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Wrog

Wrog

• 2,832 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I did the same tonight. They're amply bright to mow in the dark.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,144 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've been doing this for 3 years, generally around 10:00 PM. Great praise topic dave .
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
One of those things you dismiss when buying it, and then one day you're like "Oh yeah! What a nice feature!"

Other battery mowers have started copying Ego's headlights. And you know what they say... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :-)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 18,046 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
another thing that I really like about the ego mower is that it has continuously variable self-propelled speeds instead of the three vastly different speeds of my other mower
Photo of David Holt

David Holt

• 1,200 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Me too...sun is setting earlier now. They illuminate what is directly ahead, and that's about all you need.
Photo of Papajack

Papajack

• 594 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Love em
Photo of joe

joe

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
In WI, dew falls at sunset. It is against my religion to mow wet grass. Besides, why now at night? Are you trying to sneak up on the grass?
Photo of Wrog

Wrog

• 2,832 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
What is dew?  Haha, I live in the desert and could mow in the morning and usually not need to worry about dew.  I had to mow my lawn twice yesterday to catch up from being gone for vacation - I had to cut it higher the first pass then another pass with the deck lower.  I started later than I should have so that's why I was using the lights.  I've mowed in the dark with my old mower without lights and it wasn't hard but the lights made it easier to see where I needed to go.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,144 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hahaha. Im in minnesota. Its always dewy when i mow. I do it at night cuz my toddler and wife sleep then. That way i get more family time.. tiring but worth it.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,412 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
With all this "talk" about mowing at night, which I have never done in my 30 years of cutting grass - I have to get a portable LED lights for my gas mower and try it once to join the club ... : )
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ohh—be careful about noise ordinances using gas power equipment at night!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Thanks for the warning - my neighborhood is "loud."  With all this "summer heat" we have been getting here in Chicago, a lot of my neighbors are actually cutting grass late to avoid the heat, so I will fit right in.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,390 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
@David HD: You could always by an EGO mower instead...  ;)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Yeah Right?  I have my eyes on the "snow blower" next, as soon as I get rid of my old gas blower.  How is your new toy coming along?  I am jealous you got yours already.  At this point, you should have 5 coats of wax on that baby.  Do send us some more pictures of your "shiny" new toy!!!!
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Mower Headlights, How Much Can You See.

I was wondering just how much can be seen with the headlights on the mower, and if anybody has used the mower when it is dark.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,390 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
@Kevin: I use the LED's on my EGO mower all of the time.  I work late, and often I am cutting just as the sun is setting.  I can cut in pitch black darkness and see just fine.  In fact, it's sometimes easier to see where my previous row is at when cutting by LED.  The sun would often make seeing my lines almost impossible.   Unrelated: I also prefer vacuuming my hardwood floors in the dark (at night) with the LED's on (I have a Shark).  It makes it easier to see where the dust/pet hair actually is!
Photo of Papajack

Papajack

• 594 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I started mowing the same time my neighbor did.  When it got dark she  had to stop & go inside.  I turned on the lights & finished my lawn.  That is the first time I had ever done this.  Was very surprised how well you could see. 
I just bought the Ryobi electric riding lawnmower to replace a old gas one. 
It has LED headlights.  ( Wish EGO would sell one. ) It is a welcome addition to my EGO mower, Leaf blower, & weedier.
(Edited)