The end of winter?

• Praise
  • Updated 8 months ago
We got another 3 inches of snow here in Central Iowa on Thursday. I measured a total of 17 inches on my front yard that day. We've had one of the snowiest winters on record here, so it was definitely a good one for this to be my first year with the Ego Snow Blower!

But I'm kind of over it, and it has now warmed up enough for the snow to finally start melting off. The temperature is forecast to be almost 60 degrees in a few days, so I'm hoping all but the biggest piles of snow will be gone by next weekend.

It's raining all day today, so I'm using this opportunity to give my 20-inch first-generation mower a thorough cleaning, top to bottom. I'll coat the underside of the deck with wax, sharpen the blade and grease the wheels.

Then I'll clean all the attachments for the multitool, and make sure the weed trimmer is loaded with string. I'll also check the fittings where you're supposed to add grease. I've never done that before and want to make sure they're in good shape.

It may not be green here yet, but a guy can dream, can't he? There's so much moisture in the ground that the grass is going to grow like crazy this spring.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
  • optimistic

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Good job, Ken! I’ve still got over 4 feet of snow on my lawn up here in the Great White North, so I’ll have to live vicariously through those farther south than I for at least a few more weeks... I’m not quite ready to pull the lawnmower down off the garage ceiling yet!

BTW, as far as I know the mowers use sealed bearings on the wheels, so greasing them might be tricky! ;-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey, I'm just following the instructions!

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Aha!  Ya got me!  So there are ball bearings in the wheels but I guess the flanges on the axle still need lubricating.  This is to handle the thrust loads side-to-side.  I guess this means I should lube mine as well...

Carry on!  :-)