The 21" LM2142SP is a game changer. Mulching and Speed problems FIXED.

• Praise
  • Updated 3 months ago
First off, I have been using EGO products from just about day one.  I've really enjoyed them, but the mowers left me happy, but not thrilled with the cutting performance.  All of the comments about poor mulching proved true for me as well.  But not a drastic problem.  Then I decided to go all in with the Peak Power LM2142SP mower.   GAME CHANGER.

I'm not going to be long winded here.  Let me just hit on what it did for me to change my whole attitude about these mowers.

This very short video explains it well.

Mulching is spot on with my Honda Gas mower.  FINALLY.

In these pictures, you can see the stark cutting difference between the two mowers.  With the LM2100SP I would have to slow down, do overlapping cuts, just to get a decent looking lawn.  With the LM2142SP peak power, it was normal speed, no overlapping and just about nothing left over.  All mulched.

LM2100SP on top.  TONS of uncut grass.   LM2142SP on bottom.  Completely mulched, cut.

LM2100SP Clippings left over, pushed onto driveway

LM2142SP Almost no clippings to clean up.

Battery life on the LM2142SP seems better.  with the LM2100SP I would go through 2 7.5 batteries.  I still had a green light with 2 batteries in the LM2142SP.  I think because I got the lawn cut so much quicker and no overlapping cuts.  Also, the batteries didn't feel as hot coming out of the LM2142SP as they would from the LM2100SP.

The speed adjustments on the LM2142SP Peak Power are awesome.  From a crawl to a brisk walk.  on the LM2100SP it was just too fast on the slow end. and too fast on the top end. 

Man am I a happy camper!

Here is what I experienced with this Mower.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
  • Great, Thankful

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,488 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great review - thanks
You pushed me closer to pulling the trigger on making this purchase.
After mulching with the 2100 for the past 3 years my lawn has gotten much healthier and thicker and I could use the extra power the 2142 offers.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Your lawn will do much better with this.  The problem with the 2100 was that the grass wasn't mulched well and caused a lot of build up.  Grass needs air to be able to circulate around it.  when you get build up, it chokes it out.  It also takes too long to decompose.   My cutting with the LM2142SP has made a big difference in my lawn.  I'm starting to win my weed battle because the grass is healthier.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,682 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Well everyone, that is what I have been trying to tell everyone for the last two years when I bought mine.  
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Bill, we are a stubborn bunch of old farts.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,488 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Plus with a 2100 in hand and mowing to a satisfactory or better level, we can be extra obsessive and patient with our analysis.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,786 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks to the Happy Camper husband and wife team for the great review and video!  

Best wishes for many years of pleasant mowing with your new machine!

PS - I still love my EGO LM2101 push mower.   Never any trouble until I put the white round fan blade in upside down.  
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,828 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What do you attribute SPECIFICALLY to the new mower that makes it mulch better, given same height, speed and blade sharpness?  Is the cutting chamber a different shape or size, for the same blade? 

Are you using a HL blade on both machines?  If not, I'd like to know if the new mower mulches as well with an HL blade as w/o.    TIA.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,448 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
They look identical to me.  I think you could switch the small and large red circles, I see the same motor mount in the shadows of the 2142 ?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,352 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, I could see the bolt heads in the shadows but did wonder if they were flush with the bottom or if the mount comes down like in the other mower.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,448 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
not sure

The difference is more power - no?
2142 = 1200W brushless + peak power tech
2100 = 100W brushed

more power = blade speed maintained ?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,828 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The picture doesn't depict what u are saying about chamber size.  The new mower is in the dark and the photo is overall just too small to see much detail.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,352 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, he mentions that about 5 posts up.