Temporary "loaner" mower from Home Depot?

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

What are the general thoughts on buying a replacement mower for temporary use while mine is in for warranty and then returning the thing once I get mine back fixed? I'm basically looking for a loaner because otherwise I can't cut the grass for the rest of the season.
Photo of Jeff Bock

Jeff Bock

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,528 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I think until Home Depot can get a faster turnaround time on repairs, it's a good idea to get a second mower and use it during the return period. Some have had quick turnaround times, but I think they are the exception. I believe EGO is working on this problem and is also working on getting parts and document lists out there for people to work on their own units, and perhaps getting a better repair shop network out there, the HD "loaner" program is the workaround for now. The I believe comment is nothing more than my wish for such a thing. 
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 4,236 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Mike - I honestly can't fault HD for 100% of the slow turnaround in getting repairs done. Part of it is replacement parts distribution that EGO must fulfill in order to complete a repair - that really isn't HD's fault. Another cause is the sheer volume of EGO mowers that stop working - I'm guessing well beyond what EGO expected.

Either way, I don't have a moral problem with borrowing a mower while it's getting fixed.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,528 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Frank, I don't fault HD 100%. But, it's HD that is tasked with getting things done in the agreed upon 4-6 weeks repair time. That requires a closer parts distribution relationship between EGO and HD than what it seems is happening. EGO isn't just going to blindly ship parts to HD. There has to be an inventory system to manage what parts get ordered when. That falls to HD and communicating with EGO. I do believe EGO is keeping things too close to the vest when it comes to part distribution and am hopeful they will open things up more. 
Not sure about "sheer volume" of failed mowers, but maybe there are more than anticipated.
But none of that really matters. All we want is our mowers back as quickly as possible and we have to do something while we don't have them. Definitely a loaner is the way to go IMO.
(Edited)
Photo of Ego-12

Ego-12

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My EGO lawnmower quit in less than a year. Send it in (in the middle of the summer) and would get a different response for every Home Depot customer service rep.I talked with. When I voiced my frustration the repair center manager actually laughed after I was told they lost my mower and battery. In spite of the fact I’ve purchased 11 different EGO power devices (not counting chargers and batteries) most from Home Depot. They did finally send out a new mower and battery. I would have felt bad buying and returning a new unit before this incident but not anymore.
Photo of chris

chris

• 60 Points
My self propelled 21" mower just up and quit working after 5 months---only about 10 uses. Ego says they'll ship a new one, but it may take up to 2 weeks....and in the meantime we are getting into our wet season here in FL. Cust Service suggested "I borrow a neighbor's" to cut my grass until they can get me a new mower......WTF??
I should have suggested they "borrow" a friend's money until I could pay for it when I bought it.
Are there quality issues with Ego?
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 4,236 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
"Borrow a neighbor's mower"? Wow, that's a bizarre comment to come from EGO CS.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.