Technical Review: PH1400/STA1500, operational temperatures

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
Introduction:
I ran my PH1400/STA1500 with TWO 2.5 AH batteries over a 45 minute period.  Upon completion, I noticed the motor housing was warm, so I took some temperature readings with my IR thermometer.  All the data is in the picture, but I'll type it here too:

Setup:
PH1400/STA1500 2.5 AH battery, speed setting #1 (LO)

Environment:
Ambient Temp: 80F
Humidity: 70%

Location/Measured Temp (ordered coolest to warmest):
Coupler (attachment clamp): 87F
STA1500 head (near trimmer spool): 92F
Forward of rear handle (trigger): 93F
Motor housing (Ego logo): 99F
Battery Inside slot (air vents): 110F
Motor/Fan: 116F

Observations:
The cooling fan moves a decent amount of air.
The shaft system seems to be generating some heat, which is indicative of friction, thus less efficient.

Question:
Anyone else notice any elevated temperatures over ambient?  I only have the trimmer (for now), so I'd be interested to hear if the other tools put more of a load on the PH1400, and thus generates more heat.  And I also need some data for the speed setting #2 (HI).

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Well, since we know any powered device that's not 100% efficient (everything) sheds that energy as heat, it's not surprising that it runs hotter than ambient.

Regarding the coupling, I wonder how hot the square coupler and flex shaft drive gets on the universal attachments for the gas machines? Perhaps that's a source of inefficiency that Ego improved upon when deciding to use a splined shaft coupling?

If you have a meter and a K-type thermocouple you could monitor the couplers in real time. IR thermometers can be pretty inaccurate without careful tweaking of emissivity for each material.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

• 6,328 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Ok, so now I have another location question. I just bought a ST1500SF, the trimmer with the hinged shaft, and the new rapid reload head . I was curious to the location of the motor. On the box it points to the small cylinder directly above the rotating head. Also on the net, I found this illustration:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/...

I haven't really fooled around with the trimmer others than a quick try in wet grass, but did note that head spins very easily by hand which would be indicative of the motor being mounted on the head with no shaft cable. So that was the last I thought about it. I am not home right now, so I can't play with it at the moment. Reading the above account, indicates that the motor is mounted close to th battery and there is a drive cable in the shaft. Also the new power head seems to have motor near the battery rather than in the individual tool heads . So Ego experts where is the motor?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Two different animals. The dedicated trimmers have their motors at the bottom of the shaft, just above the string trimmer head.

The Power Head by necessity has its motor at the top of the shaft near the battery, with a solid drive shaft running the length of the tool.

(a)Typical Engineer

ST1500, motor is at the bottom right above the bump head.

PH1400, motor is at the back, right in front of the battery.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Ok I just read it again. With the model numbers I didn't realize that this was the power head. So is the motor in the power head system in the handle near the battery and in the dedicated string trimmers down on the head?
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

You answered faster than I asked! Thanks for the clarification.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I haven't noticed any differences in temperature in real-world use. But then, I don't run my trimmer for 45 minutes at a time.

Apart from that, I would expect a 2,000-watt motor to run warmer than the previous model, and with the motor up by my arm rather than at the bottom of the shaft I would expect to eventually notice some warmth coming from it.

(a)Typical Engineer

For comparison purposes, I'll collect data for the ST1500 trimmer next time I run it.

(a)Typical Engineer

ST1500, ran 2x 2.0 AH batteries through it (over approx. 60 minute period).  Here were the measured temps:

Ambient: 75F

Trimmer Body (top, above battery): 82.7F
Trimmer Body (area just rear of terminals, covered by battery during operation): 94.4F

Motor Head (top): 91.4F
Motor Head (nearest RR head): 94.6F

Battery (button): 84.3F
Battery Outer (ego logo): 91.5F
Battery (terminals): 90.6F
Battery (inside, charging cooling vents): 106.8F

Comparison to PH1400/STA1500 w/ 2.5 AH (cutting same type of brush):
1) PH1400 motor runs 20F hotter (116F vs. 94.6F)
2) ST1500 body is cooler by 16F (82.7F vs. 99F)
3) Battery on PH1400 ran 3.2F hotter (106.8F vs. 110F)

Conclusion: come back tomorrow for post data collection analysis. =)