switch n battery cable?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered

If one put a switch in the charger cord, would leaving the charger plugged in but turned off with the battery in the charger have the same effect as removing the battery from the charger?
Photo of Gary Aitken

Gary Aitken

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,574 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Well, it would. But, the battery shuts off from the charger anyway once it completes charging. In the manual it states to remove the battery, but it also says no harm will come if the battery is left on the charger. 
Photo of Gary Aitken

Gary Aitken

Ok, thanks.  The charger appears to be drawing current when plugged in with the battery removed, or with a battery in it which has been fully charged.  Presumably it does this as part of the detection circuitry for the insertion/removal of the battery.  Is there any reason NOT to put a switch in the cord to prevent this waste?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Perhaps it might affect warranty somehow. 
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,840 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I don't think so. When I unplug my rapid charger with a battery still attached, the battery continues to power the 4 LED's at the top (power level / charged indicator), so I think physically removing the battery is better for isolating it.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Interesting. I have seen the lights remain on but I thought that was because my charger remained plugged in. I always remove the battery and haven't had any reason to unplug the chargers.
Photo of Gary Aitken

Gary Aitken

For future reference, a plugged in battery charger with no battery in the cradle used 0.09 kwh in 113 hrs, or about .0008 kwh/hr