Stuck with a $1200 paper weight!

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

I buy what I was hoping to be the best Lawnmower I ever used, the metal deck one at that, for almost $1200 through Amazon, the overload light is on.... I have used it like 4 times, EGO won't help me because they say I didn't buy it through an authorized dealer, (Brand New in an EGO box), Amazon is supposed to contact the seller, with no help now... so now I'm stuck with a $1200 paper weight. Very upset. I also bought the trimmer, to find out they came out with 1 with interchangeable heads. Love how I spend so much money on their products and nobody is willing to help me. I can't even find out if I can pay someone to fix it. Very upset.
Photo of Adam Boss

Adam Boss

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,254 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That sucks. Amazon should be notifying people that warranties are not valid through third party sellers.

I'd be tempted to open a claim with my CC company if possible.

If you end up stuck, the repair channel is through Home Depot.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,306 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Amazon isn't an authorized distributor?? Seriously?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,152 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
"Sold by and shipped from Amazon" indicates you're buying directly from them and the warranty is valid. Amazon is an Ego Authorized Retailer.

Third party retailers that sell through Amazon are most likely not Ego Authorized Retailers.

It's very confusing for the customer and it shouldn't be that way.
Photo of Adam Boss

Adam Boss

You have to be careful what company is selling through Amazon.
Photo of Adam Boss

Adam Boss

I guess I had to find out the hard way. $1200 mistake.
(Edited)
Photo of Adam Boss

Adam Boss

You would think EGO would still step up seeing that the product still had to come from them. Nope, I was basically told sorry. SOL.
Photo of Adam Boss

Adam Boss

I went through Amazon because I was researching EGO, and wanted to buy the metal deck lawnmower that they didn't stock at HD, so I seen it on Amazon and just decided to order it when I found the 1 I wanted. Had no idea that I wouldn't have some kind of warranty or anything through EGO or Amazon.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 50,636 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Terrible that Amazon does not make it clear who you are buying from and what warranties apply or don't apply.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 25,910 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

szwoopp, that is not a true statement.  When you buy from a 3rd party on Amazon, you know exactly who the seller is, you can also review their feedback, as well as contact them for warranty clarification (prior to buying).

(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Thanks for setting me straight aTE.
I was part dead wrong and part poorly worded.  In either case you made it clear and accurate. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

While that is true, Amazon is being used for the transaction which may lead customers to believe the warranty is valid.

Since Amazon IS an Ego Authorized Retailer they are well aware of Ego’s warranty policy and should be notifying customers who buy Ego products from 3rd party sellers through their website that the warranty is not valid.

Of course this would cost Amazon in lost sales, so I think we can see the motivation to keep putting this on the customers...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

This Amazon warranty deal is terrible. Ego can't be the only company who has this issue, I'm sure Amazon is well aware this is happening but just haven't felt it necessary to do anything about it, even though fixing the problem would only take minimal effort on their part.

(a)Typical Engineer

Amazon sells thousands of products, and each manufacturer has a different warranty policy.  If you read the A-to-Z guarantee, which applies to 3rd party sellers, they make it pretty easy for the buyer to obtain protection from less than stellar sellers and manufacturers.  If the customer is not satisfied with the product, because of the lack of warranty coverage, then return the item.

Ego has a significant part to play in this issue too.  The dealer index is very difficult to use; and just about impossible to verify a seller other than Home Depot and Grainger.  To make the dealer index more useful, there needs to be a search function where a customer can type in a company name, and it confirms whether or not they are.   There used to be a list, it appears to have been replaced by the current map/search (if anyone knows where the list is, please post it).

Ego could also post about the very issue you are complaining about on their website, in the warranty section: "Ego products purchased through Amazon 3rd party sellers, may or may not be covered under warranty.  Refer to the dealer index to verify the 3rd party seller is an authorized Ego dealer".  But then we're back to the lack of a simple list.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

All very true, and no I was not aware that the retailer list had been completely replaced by the map search function. That seems counter productive...

(a)Typical Engineer

Completely agree, Ego needs to make authorized seller verification a much simpler process.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,306 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Since EGO reaps the benefits of ALL SALES of it's products, they should be more proactive in providing a CURRENT list of authorized sellers.  If they cant do that, they need to honor the warranty regardless of who is selling new EGO products at retail. 
It's not like the products are coming from non-authorized dealers with a giant red label on the box that says "NO WARRANTY".
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Is that Egos fault or the retailers.  If the retailer was being honest wouldn't they  put a NO WARRANTY label on the box or their amazon listing.
If you are buying the product directly from Ego then I would think you are an authorized reseller.
If you are not authorized then where are you getting the product from - stolen, refurbished, HD container auction.

(a)Typical Engineer

Recommend you read up on the Amazon A-to-Z guarantee:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=541260

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,146 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

I just read more about Amazons new return policy for 3rd party vendors.  I see how it applies in this very case we're discussing.

As of October 2, You don't even need the vendors permission to return something, no discussion, just go print the return label and send it back.

And, it actually makes sense, even from a seller's perspective.  (Tho sellers are still grumbling about it)  But.....

How to get more business?  Make customers feel assured.

I'm thinking, unless there's something we don't know about this, it's not a paperweight or an anchor, it's a big nothing burger.

Read the comments at the bottom of this if you're so inclined:

http://www.retailwire.com/discussion/will-amazons-new-return-policy-help-or-hurt-its-marketplace-sel...

(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

"Anyone notice the price on that image of the 3rd party warranty I posted?  

$429+79 shipping for a "Brand New" 21" Self Propelled.  That's cheaper than HD."

Wait, so your telling me I can't buy something for less than retail AND expect full warranty coverage from the manufacturer ??   Whaaat ??

Great post bloomz

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I’m not 100% sure, but I think it may have been Karen’s Barn that sold me my Ego hedge trimmer. It had been used but was in great shape, just as described.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,146 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I made a mistake on that price above - I realized it's mower only no battery or charger.  So not so cheap after all.  Sorry for misinformation.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 59,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Karen's barn has lots of goodies. I got 2 of my mower I built reels from her. 40.00 each vs 200 retail.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.