Strongly concerned about EGO's new snowblower wear on first use... [POST YOUR PICS!!]

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

So, I took my new snowblower out yesterday during an all-day Michigan snowstorm that resulted in 7-8" total of heavy wet snow.  Did two passes at 2 smaller suburban houses, including driveways, as well as about 175-200 feet of city walk at several neighbor's.  That's it.  No hard ice, no rocks, just plain old concrete sidewalks and driveways (and some street at the foot of the driveway).

My scraper blade is chewed up/chipped pretty badly, but more concerning is the metal sides of the blower - they're all scraped up and gouged!  I can see this rusting/wearing pretty quickly.

I hope EGO gets the scrape blades up on HD.com pretty soon, as I doubt this will last the season let alone the next few months.  I'm also really concerned about the metal being gouged and scraped so badly on the sides.

@EGO: thoughts?

@Everyone else: post your pics of your scrape blades and metal side housing in the front in this thread.  Let's compare!  Please include estimated "mileage" on your new EGO snowblowers... 

Mine:

Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
DJ, can you post a pic from the side to show how far off the ground the metal housing is at rest?

The reason I ask is, with the scraper touching the ground and pushing from behind, the wheels will come off the ground as you tilt the machine forward. You should be able to tilt it a decent amount before the steel touches the ground, though this angle will become less as the scraper wears and scraping the metal will be inevitable.

As far as the metal housing rusting goes I wouldn't be too concerned. Traditional 2-stage gas powered snow blowers have their steel fronts banged up real bad as well, and they last a very long time before rust is ever a structural concern. A guy I work with just rebuilt an old gas blower that's been around for over 20 years. It's rusted so bad he didn't bother trying to paint it, but it's still structurally sound.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Gotcha, thanks.  Here's a shot of how far the sides are off of the ground.  I must have hit some really uneven flags on the sidewalk or something.. it just seemed a bit excessive in wear (IMHO) for just one snow storm:

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I think the worst of it will come after the first use. If it keeps progressing at that rate every time you use it there might be a problem, but I tend to think the wear and tear will level off quickly.

This is just a guess, mind you, I don't have the Ego to see for myself... :-(
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Just another thought, DJ. The farther forward you tip the blower while using it the more the scraper might wear since it's then riding just on the very tip, not sitting more flat on the ground.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 5,362 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have the same kind of trouble on my end.  After 2 normal uses, even pavement, powdered snow, not rocks or ice, the scrapper bar is pretty beat up and I even have plastic line that is completly chipped.   My metal housing is also already begining to rust as well as its'a already orange.  
Will post pic soon.

I will contact ego customer service to ask about the scrapper bar....
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,396 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
My scraper bar has some dings going on used on newly installed sidewalk and asphault driveway. My edges of the metal housing. As I said in a post before I bought this maybe it should have had some kind of small replaceable skid shoes on each round corner.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Agreed about the skid shoe.  The damage to the steel sides could easily have been avoided with skid shoes.  It couldn't have added that much in cost, so it's perplexing that it was omitted.

Oh well, perhaps in next year's version?  ;)
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

• 4,098 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Anyone willing to try adding weather stripping to the edges as an experiment? Matter of fact I havn't got a chance to use mine so its still brand new....maybe a trip to the homeless despot for some weather stripping is in order...
Photo of Erik

Erik

Or the edge trim you see on car doors edges to protect against chips. Dunno how long it would hold up to scraping though.
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

That's the direction i was heading towards...think a two pack is like $3 at autozone....deff worth a try 
Photo of mpshaffer1

mpshaffer1

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I noticed that this snow blower "caught" every crack and expansion joint on my sidewalk/drive (not uneven either). It was very jarring. I rarley had seen the same thing on my gas snow blower but not to this extent. I mean like every joint in the concrete it caught. I had to push down on the back to get over the joint. This is a problem for me. Did anyone else notice this?
Photo of Erik

Erik

Spark Lawns if it's that cheap and I can remember I'll pick up some black trim and try it.

Mpshaffer1 mine only caught on the 2 cracks in my asphault. I have a brand new sidewalk and it didn't catch at all.
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

The skid plate is fairly sharp I wouldn't doubt it would catch even small rocks until it starts to wear out somewhere....my concern is the rust on the metal housing though.... I wonder if rust is covered under the 5 year warranty period....cause if so to heck with all these issues im going to run these blowers till they can't blow no more lol
Photo of Erik

Erik

Spark Lawns I expect wear and tear on it. But for 640$ I expect the auger housing to last past the warranty.
(Edited)
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Now I am not saying I am expecting them to replace the unit every winter because of rust, but the unit DOES get exposed to harsh conditions including water and rain (if they count snow rain mix as "rain"). So far I have no complaints with the ego customer support but it is good to know what you're entitled to in the warranty and what they may use as a loop hole in the future. Straight from the manual        
"e) This warranty only covers defects arising under normal usage and does not cover any malfunction, failure or defect resulting from misuse, abuse (including overloading of the product beyond capacity and exposure to water or rain), accidents, neglect or lack of proper installation, and improper maintenance or storage. f) This warranty does not cover normal deterioration of the exterior finish, including but not limited to scratches, dents, paint chips, or to any corrosion or discoloring by heat, abrasive and chemical cleaners."
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

It's as if they knew it was comming.  But this fast???  I mean after 2 uses I already see the rust on the bottom side of the metal housing  and I really am carefull when operating it as I like to keep my Ego products as new as possible.  Clearly it wont be possible with the snow blower....

Note that my snow blower sleeps in my heated garage as well....
(Edited)
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Again I have had nothing but good things to say about ego's support team. But whose to say two years from now when the unit suddenly stops and I put in a warranty claim, that I don't get some kind of "looks as if this unit was exposed to water/rain and that's what we have determined is the cause for the unit to stop working. Unfortunately this claim can no longer be serviced under warranty." I used to get those all the time when I used to sell cell phones, the phones would be scratchless in a 60 dollar otterbox case, suddenly stopped working. We would be required to check the water mark sticker, any signs of pink or red would void the warranty. And I would feel bad for my customers because it would be located (for example on the iphone) near the charge port where it is open. Obviously humidity from being in your pocket for a year or so would be able to change the watermark from white to pink...but even knowing that, there was nothing I could do. Gotta love technicalities. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

A snow blower is the highest "abuse" tool they've released yet. These things are going to be soaking wet after use, stored in garages cold and wet and covered in road salt, banged into curbs and stairs, fed rocks and ice, newspapers hidden in the snow...

I would think they know that and have designed it accordingly.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

I sure hope so....
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@mpshaffer1 - yeah, my scrape blade caught every single crack and edge of uneven flagstone sections of my walk.  And let me tell you, as I had to put some force into pushing 5-6" of heavy wet stuff, a few times I took it right in the groin - OUCH!  
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

Photo of Wrog

Wrog

• 2,832 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

I don't see any images, just pulls up a blank.

Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

Sorry about that... here they are:

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi DJ, sorry to hear about your scraper bar. However, have no fear. We have replacement scraper bars with our customer service team right now (while they are being added to homedepot.com). Please give us a call at 1-855-346-5656 so we can get that replacement ordered for you.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,390 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks @Jennifer VandeWater - I'll call.  Reading my post, is the wear on the metal sides normal?

*EDIT - just spoke to customer service.  I've been assured that this sort of wear is normal, especially if you're doing uneven walks like I was.  It doesn't compromise the 5-year warranty.  

Sidenote: every 21" single-stage snow blower I've had has exhibited some sort of scraped up wear on the metal housing, and lasted just fine.  In retrospect I'm not too concerned about it, though I may spray it with Rustoleum occasionally!  ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

Thats good news DJDDay.  I will call customer service tomorrow as well for the scrapper bar replacement.

On a side note anyone know how to register the 2 batteries when registering my 5.0Ah kit.  Theres only one serial number I can write for one battery.... What about the other?
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Mcklain - you'll likely need to call support and register the other battery manually.  There's a glitch in the website registration, me thinks...
Photo of Wrog

Wrog

I think they addressed this in another thread.  The batteries should be a pair - one ends with A and the other B.  I think they said put in the number, minus the A/B, and then it's known on their end that you have the A/B pair with your kit.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

Thanks!! Youre right I see A and B on my batteries and the rest of the serial numer is identical!
Photo of Wrog

Wrog

Here's the thread where Jennifer addressed the serial number registration, look for her comments from 9/8/16.

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/where-is-the-serial-number-on-the-snow-blower

Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

@DJDDay Can you point me to the right Rust-Oleum product to put on the side of the metal housing?  I dont really know this product and see different kinds on homedepot's website.  Does this product cover in black or is it transparent?

A direct link to the product would be great!

Thanks.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

@DJDDay Can you point me to the right Rust-Oleum product to put on the side of the metal housing?  I dont really know this product and see different kinds on homedepot's website.  Does this product cover in black or is it transparent?

A direct link to the product would be great!

Thanks.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Mcklain - to be clear, I'm entertaining the idea of treating the gouged steel edges with Rustoleum, but I haven't decided yet.  I don't want to muck up the aesthetics of the sides with overspray, so if I do it - I'll probably mask the area around it and paint it with a brush as opposed to spray.  But this could prove horribly laborious if I need to treat it after every freak'n use - LOL!

I would just use a black gloss Rustoleum formulated specifically to stop rust to match the already high-gloss enamel paint that's on there.  If would need to be lightly wire brushed before painting, though (especially, as others have pointed out, they already have rust on the metal):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-32-oz-Black-Gloss-Protective-Enamel-Paint-7779504/1...

That said, you could use the automotive version that bonds to existing rust to stop it.  Might be quicker/easier:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-10-25-oz-Rust-Reformer-Spray-Paint-248658/202623091
(Edited)
Photo of Wrog

Wrog

Maybe something of the Rhinoliner variety would be a good preventative.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
From the side of metal getting dinged up.  If all you were going through is soft snow then all would be fine.  But ice can get very hard and whipped at several hundred meters per second is enough to chip off the paint. 

Be thankful that your colour is black.  I have an Ariens and it has a funky orange colour that you cannot match from off the shelf metal paint.  
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Since when did this become a fashion show? I thought these were yard tools not exotic vehicles to show off =D

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.