String trimmer weight question

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
What is weight difference between carbon and metal shaft 15" string trimmers? EGO "specs" leave out weights. Amazon and Home Depot confuse product and shipping weights.
Photo of Randy

Randy

• 70 Points

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Lehigh Lawn Pros

Lehigh Lawn Pros

• 3,522 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi Randy,
I think I remember someone posting that the carbon-fiber model was actually slightly heavier,
probably due to the addition of the "powerload" feature.

Bob
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I concur, this is very likely the case however I doubt the difference is much to worry about.
Photo of schwartzy18510

schwartzy18510

• 688 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I had this question recently myself as I was attempting to decide between the tool-only versions of the Rapid Reload String Trimmer w/metal shaft (Model #ST1500F) and the Power Load String Trimmer w/carbon fiber shaft (Model #ST1520).

Per the Operator's Manuals which can be downloaded from the product page for each item on Home Depot's website via the above links, weights sans battery packs are as follows:

• ST1500F Rapid Reload String Trimmer w/metal shaft — 7.33 lb.
  • ST1520 Power Load String Trimmer w/carbon fiber shaft — 7.28 lb.
It appears the weights are nearly identical, with the carbon fiber shafted ST1520 weighing in at only .05 lb. lighter than the metal shafted ST1500F.

(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,464 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
My carbon fiber trimmer weighs about an ounce or 2 heavier than my original 15" string trimmer that doesn't have rapid reload or any other extra features. Both were weighed without battery installed.
The carbon fiber trimmer *feels* lighter and I think it's because the carbon fiber doesn't seem to transmit as much vibration along the shaft as the aluminum shaft does. That's my feeling, not sure if it's correct.