String Trimmer Stopped Working

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Solved
Line wrapped around a sprinkler riser and the motor stopped.  It now acts like it wants to start but immediately cuts off.  Batteries are fine - have multiple that I use in the blower and mower.  Any suggestions on how to get this working again?
Photo of gw

gw

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of giggleherz .

giggleherz .

• 2,024 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
How old is the trimmer? take it back if you can otherwise you need to book a service.
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 6,710 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Have you popped the head? Just to make sure nothing is jammed up?
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,086 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
GW, it sounds like the motor is "overloaded" from hitting the sprinkler.  Below are some recommendations from the manual.  If you have tried everything listed below and it still does not work, contact Customer Service for some assistance.

They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

Photo of gw

gw

Thanks all.  I took the head apart - nothing wound in it or otherwise.  I put it back together, loaded a fresh battery, and the thing just starts to turn a little in one direction, then the other direction, back-and-forth while the trigger is depressed.  It appears to be shot.  I didn't register it as I wasn't confident I'd keep it - was mainly for my wife who doesn't like using the gas powered trimmer.  Before you know it a year or more is passed.  I think I'm out of luck and it will just have to be trashed...
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 44,920 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You can still register it. Go ahead and register it including attaching the receipt, although you don't have to attach the receipt. Just makes life a bit easier when you call customer service. Then...call customer service. Your tool has a 5 year warranty, don't throw that warranty away because you haven't registered yet. Do the registration then call CS.
Photo of gw

gw

I registered it and called Customer Service per Oregon Mike's suggestion.  All they could say is take it in for repair (at Home Depot) but it would not be covered under warranty per p. 33e of the manual:  "The warranty only covers defects arising under normal usage...".  Well, if trimming around a sprinkler riser is not normal usage, I'm not sure what good this trimmer is.  This would be an engineering defect in my book - heck, even vacuum cleaner heads have an auto overload shutoff and reset, so this thing should have the same or other.  This is a terrible warranty and I'd advise others not buy this.  It was under powered, anyway and not a very good replacement to my gas trimmer.  I have the mower and blower, too, BTW, but those work fine - been happy with them.  Stay away from the trimmer!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 58,186 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This is the first time I've ever heard anyone accusing the 15-inch trimmer of being underpowered.
Photo of Pablo

Pablo

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't think it is under power and in fact I've been using gas string trimmer all the time and just recently purchased the Ego because of the automatic winding and upon using this, I can honestly tell you and to my complete knowledge and experience, this has more power than my previous string trimmers. In fact I am thinking of returning this because I've been using this for a month now and I am still not used to having too much power. It is hard to control sometimes but I will keep this because it is truly a good trimmer. So for this guy :gw, telling people not to buy this Ego, I think he is just disappointed because of the warranty and honestly I don't think he knows how to use the trimmer and his experience only proved that the trimmer is very powerful and not under powered as he stated or he doesn't know what he is doing...
Photo of gw

gw

By "underpowered" I meant RPMs.  It would always rev up then slow down a bit due to what I assume was a limiter of some kind.  The slowish speed makes cutting things like wiry St. Augustine grass a bit inefficient often taking multiple passes.  Way weaker than my Echo gas trimmer that can just whip right through that.

It is possible the unit I got was just a dud.  But I won't be risking it again.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 44,920 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Sounds like you may have gotten a dud. Both of my 15" trimmers have way more power than I need. Way more than a plug in model I had years ago. 
Photo of gw

gw

BTW Mr. Pablo, I've been cutting and trimming my own grass for over 40 years - but sure, I don't know what I'm doing...

Check out the post "15" trimmer not spinning" - similar situation.  BTW, the model I'm referring to is an ST1500SF.
Photo of gw

gw

Oregon Mike - thanks for your suggestions and comments over the course of this thread.  I'm glad you're having success with yours.  Take care.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 80,178 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I would call Ego CS again.  Sounds like some sort of misunderstanding.  That does not sound like the correct outcome based on the situation as described.
Photo of namartinnz

namartinnz

• 60 Points
I had a similar problem with my trimmer. After a jam, the motor would just slowly jerk back and forth. Seemed like an issue with the wire from the motor to the battery, possibly a loose connection to the motor. Tension on the wire would fix the problem. I eventually twisted the wire a few turns and it looks to be running fine again.
(Edited)