string trimmer

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Solved
Trying to replace the spool string. My trimmer (GO 56V Li-Ion 15" String Trimmer 2.5Ah kit
Master product: NST11170338198) has a screwed in spool holder. the replacement spool that I purchased is a complete spool that cannot be placed in the machine. I asked about this months ago on this sight and received no answers. Are there any? Please advise.
Photo of peternicolle

peternicolle

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,738 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Peter, can you provide the model number of the trimmer? That NST number is a serial number. The model number would help with this. The model number will be something like ST-15xx.
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 7,208 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If you have the proper complete replacement spool...you have to unscrew the old unit and screw in the new unit...this may require some slight disassembly of the old and new units so you can reach the screwhead
Photo of peternicolle

peternicolle

the model number is ST1500SF
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,590 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The manual as and exploded view of the trimmer head for you to reference:

Manuels are available on Ego’s product pages. Here is the page for your trimmer:

https://egopowerplus.com/collections/...

Perhaps once you see how the head comes apart and goes together you can figure out the issue?
Photo of peternicolle

peternicolle

The spool for the string is screwed into the trimmer head. The replacement spool appears to be something that is removed and replaced into a grooved slot without any other action than placing it in that spot.....no screws. Showing me how the trimmer head is put together does not help....I have that in my owners manual. In fact, it does not show the spool itself.
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 7,208 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Well, if then post pictures of what you have...your trimmer and the replacement head
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 69,204 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Does the 15-inch trimmer with the rapid reload head even accept a preloaded replacement spool? I thought those were for previous generation trimmers that didn’t have rapid reload heads but I could be wrong.

Reloading string on the rapid reload head is so easy I would advise trying that rather than paying for a prewound spool.
Photo of peternicolle

peternicolle

I have a model ST1502SF I purchased in May 2017. The rapid replacement doesn't sound like this one. The green spool is screwed into the trimmer head. What I tried doing was taking the string off the replacement spool I bought, and treaded it into that spool, which didn't really work too well. That's why I'm trying to get help here. It sounds like I have to replace the entire trimmer head for this to work, and that sounds silly when it works fine.....except I can't refill the spool without frustration.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,738 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Peter, please post pictures of what you have. What you describe does not sound like a 1502SF. 1502SF is the trimmer with rapid reload head. 
Pictures of what you have and what you are trying to replace will be a great help.

Here is the manual for the AH1500 head. Does this look like what you need or are trying to replace?
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0262/2513/files/AH1500_EGO_ST_Head_Manual_Fit_ST1500F_SFonly.pdf?3...
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

If this is the kind of spool you have, you have a trimmer with a rapid reload head. It doesn’t accept prewound spools of string:

You reload the string by lining up the mark on the trimmer head with the holes on the side, like this:

You feed up to 15 feet of new string through the hole until it comes out the other side (favoring the smaller end of the hole, as shown below). Pull the string through until the same amount is coming out each side. Then turn the cap of the trimmer head in the direction of the arrows until only a few inches is left sticking out.

(Edited)
Photo of Mary Ann Hayes

Mary Ann Hayes

• 60 Points
I cannot get my spool head to turn when pressed more than 1/8 of the way around.  Help!
Photo of peternicolle

peternicolle

That's it! Finally......thank you!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I’m happy to be of help!

The good news is that although you can’t use the spool, you can use the string that came on it.

And in the future, you can use any brand of string as long as it’s the right diameter. (I find Ego’s string to be a bit brittle.) I pay about $13 for a 250-foot spool of Husqvarna string, which will last me several seasons at the rate I’m going.

The rapid reload head is pretty easy to reload.
(Edited)
Photo of peternicolle

peternicolle

Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it.