string trimmer line

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
Hi - my string trimmer line is frayed at the end after using. Do I cut the frayed end off?
Photo of Sarah

Sarah

• 70 Points

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 161,020 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you think the frayed end isn’t cutting properly, just bump feed the line and it will trim to length on the guard automatically. ;-)
Photo of Steve Ward

Steve Ward

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I noticed this too after my first use of the Power Head String line trimmer using the trimmer line that came with the trimmer.  As Sarah mentioned easy to solve but curious if the included line is less susceptible to breaking but more prone to fraying than comparable 0.095 line.  With my old has trimmer I used both Echo Cross Fire and Rhino Tuff Twist Heavy Duty 0.095 line and never observed any fraying on the  ends.  I will admit I seemed to have less line breakage with the Ego trimmer and included line.  Curious others experience with the Ego brand line vs other twist line (it is substantial more expensive per foot than the other 0.095 brands at Home Depot.
Photo of 40mmrrsmith

40mmrrsmith

• 490 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The original line frayed when I was using it also. It also would not cut the thicker stuff. Cyclone was recommended to me but I picked up Echo Crossfire by mistake. It never frays and hasn't broken yet. It does bend but doesn't seem to affect performance. I bump it sometimes just out off habit.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 49,894 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Bump-feeding the trimmer head to feed new line will take care of the frayed line short-term. That said, I do prefer other brands of replacement line over Ego's, which I find to be brittle and prone to fraying.

I've used Echo Cross Fire and Husqvarna Titanium Force with great success. Just make sure it's the right size (0.095).