String trimmer bump feed will not feed

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

Photo of Nancy Talbot

Nancy Talbot

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Try more of a heavy push, not a bump.  Also there is a whole thread on trying different sized string.  The hard push has worked for a lot of people.

Photo of Jean-Guy Lepage

Jean-Guy Lepage

• 826 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

It's the first time you used the trimmer ?

I've got the same problem, but after few times i'll OK

Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I would suggest removing the spool and rewinding the string. My bump head has worked well after doing that as apparently the string was wound too tightly at the factory.
Photo of Nancy Talbot

Nancy Talbot

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

I have tried all of the above suggestions.  Still frustrated.  I like the trimmer enough to put up with it but must say that a trouble free string device would be nice.  There are many, many complaints about this problem and I would think there must be a better solution than the ones offered so far.  Why not develop an after market head that is like the ones offered for the electric and gas trimmers?  I certainly would be well received by those of us that have bought new spools and tried different strings or techniques to fix the problem. 

Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Since I switched to a different line (Shakespeare Ugly Twist) I have refilled the spool a couple of times and the bump feed on my 12" trimmer works exactly as it is should.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I agree with Tim. Although I ultimately exchanged the 12-inch trimmer for the 15-inch for a variety of reasons, changing to a smoother type of string greatly improved the performance of the bump feed for me on the 12-inch trimmer.

Echo, Husqvarna and Rino-Tuff are all highly recommended. I haven't tried the Shakespeare because I was wanting to get away from the twisted line.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.