string trimmer

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • In Progress
I have several ego items, and like them all, EXCEPT, I have yet to make it all the way through a single spool of line in my string trimmer. I've probably gone through 6 or 7 spools and get about one usage per spool before it quits advancing line.  I have spent alot of time researching how to load the cartridge, to  no avail.  Any direction would be appreciated, 
Photo of B Korris

B Korris

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,884 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Which model of string trimmer do you have?
Photo of B Korris

B Korris

I have model st-1500-s and have attempted to use spool shown as as1300-15 inch
Photo of Bobby Saunders

Bobby Saunders

• 74 Points
just buy the pre-wound spools....they are inexpensive and are at home depot!!!! that is what I do and my ego has no issues!!!!
Photo of Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-Pre-Wound-Spool-for-String-Trimmer-AS1300/205851304      $10.95 at Home Depot . Home Depot also sells the head with string for $30.00 in case u have a damaged head
Photo of B Korris

B Korris

Thank you, I'll give it a shot!
Photo of Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Hi B Korris, I may have spoke to soon.  Today I unpackaged and tried out my new ECO trimmer for the first time.  It would not advance the string when I tap down the head.  I opened up the head to see if anything might be wrong.  I could not after spending about an hour get the line back in cleanly without the line catching on the head collar which I think was jamming the line.  Anyway, to much trouble for me so I am returning my trimmer.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 25,678 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ego support has previously posted that if you experience feed issues from a new trimmer, or a replacement out of the box, that one thing to try is to rewind the spool but leave the string looser than factory tension.  Ego's manuals also have a recommended maximum string length, which differs between the AH1300 and AH1500, but what ever that is, I always put about 3 feet (1 meter) LESS than that so as to avoid jamming/feeding issues related to having to wind it too tight to fit all of it inside.
Photo of Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Thank you for your post.  Your comments make sense.  I'll give that a try.
Photo of John Rapp

John Rapp

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It sounds like you have the string wound backward.
Photo of B Korris

B Korris

I'll look at that
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 25,678 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Take a RED sharpie pen (black would work too), and color in the words "wind  cord" and the direction arrow printed on the green spool.  I also did the same to the direction arrow on the trimmer guard to remind me which direction the string spins.  These simple visual indicators will aid you at the end of a long yard day, so that some as simple the wrong direction doesn't make you job take longer than necessary.