String timmer aftermarket replacement head

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Inappropriate

I really like my EGO power tools.   I use the string trimmer and blower multiple times per week.   But the bump and feed head on the string trimmer is garbage!   It never works, the trimmer always has to be flipped over, the button pushed by hand, and the string tugged out of the spool by hand.   Then of course there's always too much string pulled out, so the I'm respooling it every other week.

Do any of the aftermarket "universal" replacement heads fit on the EGO string trimmers?

I am too the point of giving up on the whole EGO system if there's not an aftermarket option out there that can replace the trimmer head.   I am seriously considering ditching everything and going to GreenWorks or gas powered instead!
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Robert

Robert

• 30 Points
I have one blower and two batteries - works great.  I was going to buy the trimmer but I'm seeing too many concerns listed.  Sounds like customer service also needs improvement.  Is anyone listening?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The 15-inch trimmer is arguably the best tool Ego has made. The bump feed on the 12-inch trimmer was problematic, but not many people have problems with the 15-inch, whether they're using the original head or the new rapid reload head.

There's a possibility you're winding the string too tightly. Maybe post some pictures of the bump head and we can see if we can offer any advice.
(Edited)
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just my luck - I have the 12" string trimmer!!

Apparently, the problem is completely with the 12" trimmer from the sound of it.   So my choices appear to be buy an EGO 15" trimmer AND the replacement rapid reload head, or ... buy new GreenWorks trimmer and blower.
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 680 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You shouldn't need to buy 15" trimmer and a rapid reload head. I just purchased a 15' trimmer and it came with the rapid reload head.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

When I had the 12-inch trimmer I did find a bit of improvement with a different brand of string. I don't remember now which brand that was --- maybe Echo.

That said, if you do decide to switch to the 15-inch trimmer, you already have batteries and a charger since you have a blower as well.

And the 15-inch trimmers now come with the rapid reload head. (That's not to say you can't find some with the previous head still in stock some places, but both heads have worked very well for me.)
(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,956 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I bought my first EGO tool early last year and it was the 15" trimmer with Gen 1 Spool Head - not the Rapid Reload Head.  That said; I have been EXTREMELY happy with my trimmer - it works well week in and week out for almost 2 years.  The funny thing is that I am still using the same string which came with the trimmer, and have not needed to replace it yet.  So to Ken's point, either Gen 1 or the new RR head will do great!!!!!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The 12" trimmer was an ok early release tool. The 15" trimmer with rapid reload head is 100x better. My 12" trimmer became hobby parts
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If you go for the 15", buy the "F" model which includes the rapid reload head (ST1500-F, ST1500-SF); and you also gives you the option to changing back to the AH1300 (bump) if you don't like the AH1500 (RR) head.  You cannot go the other direction (e.g. buy the ST1500 w/o "F", and add the bump head).
Photo of Paul Fuller

Paul Fuller

• 60 Points
I had the same issue as the OP. I have the 15" model (ST1500-line with the bump head), and the feeding is just horrific. And I'm using the pre-wound spool so that should not be a variable. I mean, I have not once gotten the string to advance. Not once. Not one inch of advance, ever. If I want advance, I have to turn it over and open it up and spool some out. (it even fails to advance if I try to "bump" it with my hand). 

Seriously, the EGO line is amazingly awesome. I have the mower, a blower, the hedge trimmer, all fantastic, and .... this horrible, worthless beast.  I believe most trimmers suck at this anyway, but this is the worst. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Paul, there’s got to be a problem with your trimmer. My original 15” trimmer feeds very well. I’m curious, which way does yours spin looking down at it? It should be clockwise.

Either way, Give Ego Customer Service a call and they’ll help you troubleshoot and get you back on track.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Agreed. My original bump head works flawlessly.

Take a video and post on YouTube so we can diagnose it. Or call customer service. You may need a new bump head unit. It is easy to replace.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I'll chime in, too, to say the bump feed on my original 15-inch trimmer worked wonderfully. There's some sort of problem here. If you can, post some photos here of your bump head and we can try to help.
Photo of ceedub

ceedub

• 420 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Ditto for me as well. My 15" bump trimmer using Husqvarna .095 line has had no issues during the 3 years I have owned it. Best weed eater I've ever owned!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.