Storing newly purchased EGO battery as a spare

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Hi all. I purchased a new EGO battery as a spare (Price was right). Not intending to use it until my current battery is kaput (3 yr warranty....and I just finished up my 1st season with it). Do I need to recharge the spare battery periodically for the 3 yrs?....or just store it (a la in a Dealer's warehouse)?
Photo of Kenneth Hickey

Kenneth Hickey

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

• 896 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
My reccomendation is charge and swap it out as your other dies while you are moving, this is more logical. Just like an unused flashlight. The batterys still do their thing
Photo of soakssr

soakssr

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, I agree with Kenny. Just start using it, swapping it out with the other one. You will get more life out of both that way.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,258 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Your battery warranty starts the day you buy the battery so it makes no sense to let it languish on a shelf. If you wait for the first one to fail you could be past your 3 year warranty period on the spare. Put it into the rotation with the other battery. 
Photo of Kenneth Hickey

Kenneth Hickey

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks all. Oregon Mike.....I didn't think of that (good point).

Photo of Mikeg

Mikeg

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have 2 x 2Ah, 1 x 6.0Ah & 1 x 7.5Ah batteries and swap and recharge each as they are used up, that way keep all of them in usable condition, so far I have had no failures over 3 years of use.  I mainly use the standard charger unless using on a big job and need them quickly, then i use the fast charger, it seems to work for me, hope this helps.
Photo of Steve Hadyniak

Steve Hadyniak

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Mike. Good point. We try to rotate the batteries to extend their life.