Storing equipment and battery charge

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I've read that when storing equipment for an extended time, the battery should be stored at 40% charge capacity. Is this correct?
Photo of Diana Payne

Diana Payne

  • 70 Points

Posted 3 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

  • 68,070 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We have final word: unused batteries will automatically kick into self-storage after 30 days, whether or not they’re on the charger. Also, You may feel warmth from the button on the top of the battery- that’s normal.  Know that these are Lithium-Ion batteries that are designed to hold their charge for along time, so if your battery doesn’t kick into self-storage within 30 days, do not be alarmed.  It may take longer than that to actually trigger the self-storage discharge.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

  • 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for clarifying, Amber!
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

  • 6,308 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
From kicking around this site, I have been trying to formulate my short term weekly in-between use method of storing batteries.  At first I was charging the battery immediately after use.  Then after reading some of the commentary here at this site, I decided to leave the battery as is when I pulled it out of the tool and charge it immediately before the next use.  But now I wonder if it would not be better as Dane mentioned above, to throw them on the fast charger and pull them off a few minutes after the 50% light starts blinking.  This should get them some place around 30%.   Am I doing anything for battery life or just assuaging the coward within (who does not die but only one death) that I am doing something positive.  Also I wonder what I may be doing to the fast charger, unplugging it under load.  I think it would be ill advised to pull battery off the charger under load, you will probably get arcing on the contacts and there could be a hydrogen hazard.   I am pretty careful to stop using the battery as soon as the red light comes on rather than to wait for it to blink.  But still it seems like it would be better to put a slight charge on them.  

Any thoughts from the Egomaniacs?         

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.