storing battery after use

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Answered
Should the string trimmer battery be stored between uses fully charged or stored as is then charged before next us in 2-3 weeks or winter 3 months.
Photo of ed

ed

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 99,218 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
If it is not a hassle , then yes it is best to charge before use rather than after use.
Better to store at a partial charge rather than full charge. 
Unless you run it down to red light, then you should give it a partial charge before storage.

The battery management system will self discharge down to 30% after is sits unused for 30 days.

NOTICE:This battery pack is equipped with an advanced self-maintenance function to extend the battery life. Depending on the battery charge, it will automatically perform a self-discharge operation after one month of storage. After this self-maintenance, the battery pack will enter sleep mode and maintain 30% of its charge capacity. If stored for a month or longer, fully recharge the battery before the next use.
(Edited)
Photo of ed

ed

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Ed, when you add enough EGO tools, you won't need to be concerned over battery storage. My batteries are used year round in rotation and doesn't sit idle for long enough for it to automatically release energy.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,350 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I have 2 2.5 ah batteries and 2 5 ah batteries that are in regular rotation. I'll use a 5 ah in the mower and a 2.5 ah in a string trimmer, edger, and blower when I mow my lawns. I generally use the 2.5 ah for other handheld tools like my hedge trimmer. I'll use my 5 ah for the cultivator attachment on the multi-head tool for example.
Anyway, I use one of each until they go to red and then I'll fully charge them. I then start using the other pair that were fully charged right after they went to red. I think I use the batteries frequently enough, especially during mowing season, that I don't worry about charging them right after they go to red. The charged ones rarely sit on the shelf for more than 2 weeks before they get put into use. Once the weather turns cold and growing slows way down then I'll just let them sit and do their self maintenance. Then just charge as I might need them.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I have yet to use my 7.5 Ah in any tool but mower and snow blower. This fall, I may give it a try on my leaf blower just to see how long my arm lass.