Storage on the snowblower.

• Question
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
The manual says store the snowblower out of the elements. Do you think it's OK to store the snowblower under my porch outdoors? (I’ll store the batteries inside) I live in Vermont and light rain and snow get through the lattice under the porch. Temps get below 0 F at times. Suggestions?
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,320 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The light rain shouldn't be an issue, but 0 degrees F might take a toll after a while. The manual (below) only puts conditions on the batteries, and the critical/sensitive components would be the lithium cells and the electronic circuits.  Since the snow blower has electronic circuits and wires too; exposing them to freezing temperatures can only shorten their lifespan.

Recommendation: If you can afford the space, I would store the snow blower indoors, or inside your garage.

STORING THE SNOW BLOWERNOTE: When not in use, a 56V battery should be stored in an enclosed area where
the temperature will not drop below -4°F (-20°C).
Photo of William P Tucker

William P Tucker

• 842 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
To me that statement , "out of the elements", means store it in a garage or out building. Somewhere 
it will not be subject to moisture, more then temperature.  You want to protect the internal electronics.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Sounds good. Thank you!
Photo of asdfjkl;

asdfjkl;

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same question here. I don't have an enclosed space for it and it can't come inside the house, so it sits outside exposed, no roof over it. What's the worst that could happen, I legitimately want to know.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 68,898 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The worst that could happen is the extreme temps and moisture could cause the machine to fail prematurely

Some kind of storage box whether manufactured or self constructed (ie plywood box) would go a long way in shielding it from the elements.

A bare minimum would be to cover it with a tarp
(Edited)
Photo of asdfjkl;

asdfjkl;

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The blower was designed for extreme weather applications though, that's why I asked. It has to be sealed against moisture somehow -- users will be operating it in all conditions, rain, sleet and snow.

As for extreme temps, I have to believe the blower has ruggedised electronics rated to handle extreme low temperatures, especially if sold here in Canada. Lots of people here keep outdoor power equipment in unheated/uninsulated/detached garages, barns, sheds, etc. Same temp as outside minus any wind chill.
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 36,876 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
From page 30 of the owner's manual.
"STORING THE SNOW BLOWER
CAUTION: Ensure that all melted snow that may drip from the snow blower is properly wiped up to prevent a slip and fall hazard. ◾ Remove the battery pack(s) and store in a secure location out of the reach of children.
NOTE: When not in use, a 56V battery should be stored in an enclosed area where the temperature will not drop below -4°F (-20°C). Optimal charging temperatures are 32°F - 104°F (0°C - 40°C).
Before storage, wipe any moisture, dirt, or debris from the battery area. ◾ Wipe the snow blower with a clean dry cloth. ◾ Check all nuts, bolts, knobs, screws, etc., for tightness. ◾ Inspect moving parts for damage, breakage, and wear. Have repairs made on any damaged or missing parts. ◾ Fold the side rails to the storage position. ◾ Store the snow blower in a clean, dry, enclosed place out of the reach of children. ◾ Do not store near corrosive materials such as fertilizer or rock salt."

Sheds, garages, etc are perfectly fine storage places. 
There is always a way for water to find its way to electronics. The longer it is exposed to the elements, the greater chance that will happen. Risk management. Minimize the exposure, you minimize the risk. That applies to anything.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 3,242 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think this is why I check out these posts.  To put a smile on my face.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 1,158 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Good idea to use your EGO Blower to blow off snow and moisture to speed up drying.