Stopped working, I thought the switch was broken

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago
My 15 inch string trimmer stopped working the fourth time that I used it . I thought that the switch was broken but it was just a dead battery. I don’t use the trimmer every time that I mow and I had a lot of work yet to get done. I was very disappointed because this is so much better than the Craftsman two cycle gas trimmer that I had before. So much quicker because it does not bog down in heavy grass. When I first started using it I was worried that the line would have to be replaced soon since it seemed to always be feeding line. I went to replace it befor I got started today and found that I still had about eight feet of line left. My only regret is that I did not get a bigger battery than the 2.5 amp one.
So very happy with this my only Ego product so far.
Photo of Robert Burnside

Robert Burnside

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • Very Happy

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thanks for sharing Robert! It’s probably a good idea to top the battery off before getting started if you know you have a larger job to do. :-)

Generally speaking, I do very similar to you where I use the trimmer multiple times without charging it. I guess the biggest difference is that I have a spare battery in case I run out so it’s no big deal. If you ever decide to get a second tool it might be wise to consider one with a battery as a kit, so you can swap between them if necessary.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,400 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's always a tradeoff between weight and runtime. Luckily I have three batteries to choose from, but I really like how light the trimmer is with the 2.5.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,566 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I use the 2.0 battery in my 15" trimmer and in my small yard the battery has plenty of power for up to 3 trimming sessions. If that runs out I use the 2.5 battery that came with the trimmer...swap and charge...I always have a battery charged and ready to go. 
On trimmer string...once you burn through the OEM line buy some .080 octagon line. I wrap my own spools. I also hand feed the line instead of bumping as bumping wastes a bunch of string after the trimmer trims off the excess. Banging the trimmer head on the ground is not the best for the bearings. Just depress the bump button down and pull one side out some to start the release of string. Finish up with pulling the string on both sides until the spool locks.
(Edited)