What does the flashing yellow light mean?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I have used my EGO 21" SP mower 4 times. Each time it has stopped and flashed yellow while in use. I have to stop it for about 5 seconds then depress the starter again then it works again. I'm concerned somethings not right?
Photo of Hank M.

Hank M.

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hank, here's what the manual says about a flashing orange light (overload, pg. 21-22):

Are you cutting extremely thick, wet or overgrown grass? Is grass building up under the mower deck?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Overload was relatively common with the 20" mower, but the 21" is infinitely better in that regard. If I went more than 4 days between cuts with my 20" then I would have to deal with repeated overload shutoffs like you are describing. With the 21" I went twice that long and cut when the grass was wet, yet never saw an orange light once.

Unless you are taking off WAY more than 1/3 of the grass height or have a very dull blade with heavy buildup under the deck, I would say something might be wrong with your mower. Of course try sharpening the blade, cleaning the deck, and raising the cutting height, but if that doesn't help I would give Ego a call.
Photo of Hank M.

Hank M.

I wouldn't say I have pushed it too hard with height. Cutting once a week at 3 inches. The grass was wet with dew this morning, but never was in the past incidents. I guess I'll just see how it plays out since it has only been used 4 times so far. Thanks!
Photo of John

John

• 842 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
My 20", so far has been working great. I have cut some pretty long grass and have even cut the grass when it has been damp, near the ground and have yet to have an overload condition. I hope it continues to work as well.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I overload my 20" mower all the time. Its them juicy weeds that do it.
Photo of Hank M.

Hank M.

I guess I'll see how it goes with more usage, just concerned that maybe I have a defect. Thanks for your info
Photo of Scott Bowles

Scott Bowles

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mine does the same thing.  I have it on the highest setting and this past week was only 5 days since last cut.  It overheated on me twice during mowing.  This can add 20-30 minutes to mow time.  Yes, it's hot, but if Ego wants to compete with normal gas mowers, this is unacceptable, especially at such a high price.  I could have purchase two high quality gas powered mowers for this. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Sounds like you have the 20" or 21" push model, right? Those have 600w and 700w blade motors, respectively. I haven't used the 21" push, but would describe the 20" as very capable for moderate duty cutting, but not with much power to spare.

The 21" SP mower has a 1000w dedicated blade motor, so is 67% more powerful than the 20" that could handle almost any yard if cut regularly. My 20" overloaded so much that it added nearly 2 hours to what is typically a 45 minute mow. I'm not entirely sure it's even possible to overload the 21" SP—I certainly couldn't, even trying my very hardest to overload it on purpose!

21" SP Mower Torture Test
https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...

If anyone is having problems with a well-maintained 21" SP mower overloading in anything short of the most extreme conditions imaginable, I would contact Ego to see about exchanging it under warranty.
(Edited)
Photo of Hank M.

Hank M.

Scott.....
Agree with you on price for sure. I like the mower, but service should be very good for such a high price
(Edited)
Photo of Eric Weber

Eric Weber

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Check for residue on the bottom side, mine was overloading easily until I scraped heavy residue off the bottom.
Photo of Jwm jwm

Jwm jwm

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I had the same problem and exchanged mine. The new one seems ok 4 or 5 cuts and no overload fingers crossed.
Photo of John

John

• 842 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hank M and Scott. It sounds to me like you both may have a mower problem. I would contact EGO or if you haven't had it too long, return it to Home Depot.  I've cut some pretty long grass with my 20" mower and have not had trouble with a flashing yellow light on the battery. I hardly even notice the speed getting slower when I am in the long stuff.  I would think that even with the lower wattage motor you should not be having this problem. The 21" may have a more powerful motor, but you pay dearly for the larger motor and extra 1" cutting width.
Photo of Robert Collick

Robert Collick

• 52 Points
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Yellow light flashing on battery..

My mower starts and runs very fast then quits. The battery light flashes yellow. When i hook it up to the charger it has all 4 green bars. Any idea what is wrong?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.