Steel vs non steel decks; easier to remove wet grass off of?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • In Progress
I have had a cordless mower for 23 years now with a plastic like (unknown the exact material) and it tough to scrape the wet grass buildup off.
I see EGO has dropped steel decks except for one and that is self-propelled which I don't want since it's not necessary being as light as these are compared to gas mowers.

The question is, this "polymer' materiel EGO uses (according to them), how is that for removing grass buildup? I always clean off the buildup after I finish, I never leave it until the next time.
Photo of videobruce

videobruce

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Try cleaning, let it dry and spray with silicone; that should help keep grass from sticking. Also mow when it's dry after dew has evaporated.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,754 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The polymer deck is pretty smooth and easy to clean in my experience
Some folks like to wax it or apply a spray to help minimize any build up.  I never have and do not have any problems.
Photo of videobruce

videobruce

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm reasonable sure when it's new, it's probably not a problem.
You can't always wait 'till the grass is dry, especially in the spring. Dew isn't the problem, that goes away quickly, rain with saturated soil doesn't.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,754 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have been using my mower for 3 years.  It is no longer new.  It is not a problem to clean.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,582 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

I have a Ego dual battery self-propelled lawn mower.  I spray the underside with a special Teflon spray made for lawn mowers.  After I cut my lawn, I spray the underside with Simple Green and wait around ten minutes and then wipe the grass particles off.  They usually comes off pretty easily.  If the grass I cut is dry, there is hardly any grass particles stuck underneath because of the Teflon sray.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,498 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Photo of stevenschlossman

stevenschlossman

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a steel deck. I didn't think about cleaning until a few days later. I guess the grass was a damp. Grass was caked on. I was able to clean the chunks of grass off with my fingers. The next time I there wasn't much grass stuck. I used a rag to clean it. I am noticing scratches in the paint though. I may have to take some paint it doesn't rust.