Steel deck Self-propelled or not? LM2021 vs LM 2022

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Well, I did end up returning my 21" mower. I'm now looking at the steel deck models. I don't really need the self-propelled feature because my yard is really flat. It's not that big either so a run time on the 5ah battery should be sufficient.

Given these factors, is there any reason, is there any benefit to getting the self-propelled anyway?
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

• 420 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 13,290 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

I meet those same criteria, flat year, not big, etc.

I use the SP all the dang time.  Why save $100 on something you may wish later you would have gotten?

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 65,540 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm the opposite. I'm an out-of-shape old fart, with a relatively large yard that's mostly flat. I see have no need for the self-propelled feature. Ego's mowers are so light weight, I'll take the less expensive, lighter-weight push mower any day. Fewer parts to break, too.
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,126 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Small, flat yard does not need SP... 
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 12,518 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
My yard doesn't but the owner does...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There you have it Stacey you just need to figure out which camp you fit into! :-)

One more thing to consider is, some people feel better knowing they've got more battery than they need. If you think you might be that person the 7.5Ah battery with the self-propelled model is probably the right choice. :-)
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

Thank you for the replies! I think I'm going to stick with the non-self propelled. The bigger battery would be nice, but it charges quickly enough and I do have a 2.5ah as well.

I think I could have been more specific in my question though. Are the specs/power any different in the two? For instance, if you compare the 2021 with the 2022 (with the SP off) is there any difference in power/performance. From what I gather from the responses so far, I'll assume no unless someone tells me otherwise.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We've only been told that the steel deck mowers have a 1000W motor, so based on that it seems they're the same.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,060 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Stacey - it's a personal choice for sure. I recently bought the LM2102SP because I heard it had the bigger battery and larger wattage motor. Plus I can't remember when I didn't have a self propelled mower. My yard isn't that large and for the most part is flat. What I like self propelled for is with the way my landscaping, fire pit, arbor swing, garden beds etc are arranged at times you are stuck in a position that you can't get directly behind the handle of the mower so a quick couple second use of the SP feature helps immensely.

Mike
Photo of David

David

• 1,942 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I had the same decision to make. Asked friends for opinions and although they used heavier gas mowers- consensus was "it is nice to have when its hot outside" makes it more of a stroll in the yard than workout.
That said, the SP mower can be used like a push mower with absolutely no restriction/drag; and when used without SP will mow longer due to the larger battery.
It is just very slightly heavier....negligible
when divided over 5 or more years, the price difference is also negligible for a nice power/convenience upgrade 
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and purchased the non-self propelled. I understand the logic that $100 is not much more, but the lesser price of the non-self propelled was already well beyond what I wanted to spend. So, no point in spending more on two features I probably won't need/use. Plus, I like to try and make my yard work double as a workout at all times!

I originally got the 21" for about $410+ tax, so $649 was already pushing beyond my comfort level. I just wasn't happy enough to keep the 21". Will report back on how the new one works.
Photo of Joe

Joe

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I was told by Home Depot...the steel deck non self-propelled mower (model LM2021) has been permanently discontinued? Can anyone from EGO confirm?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-20-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Electric-Brushless-Walk-Behind-Steel-Deck-Push-Mower-5-0-Ah-Battery-Charger-Included-LM2021/301233169

(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 85,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ego does not answer questions here, you would have to call their customer service line for info.

Ace Hardware and RCPW do not list the LM2021 as an available product and Grainger lists it as discontinued, but it is still on the Ego website.  So, hard to decipher a definitive answer., but looking like it is discontinued. 

Perhaps a new model coming out in the spring. 

Ego's happy new year email stated they were looking forward to a new generation of lawn tools - or something like that.  Not sure if that was just a general statement about their products or if they were coming out with some new stuff.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 50,872 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Home Depot's website also shows it as discontinued. Probably a safe bet it is.
Photo of Joe

Joe

I'm hoping they will offer a 21" brushless steel deck that is not self propelled. There are several competitors now offering that configuration. Earthwise, Greenworks, and Snapper to name a few.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Hey Joe, I'm asking purely out of curiosity. What makes a steel deck that much more attractive to you than a plastic deck? I have a 21" non-self propelled plastic deck that just finished its 3rd season and still looks and performs great. Honestly, I'm just curious.
Photo of Joe

Joe

The steel deck comes with a brushless motor (providing more power and has a longer lifespan). The steel deck model also has a side discharge.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Just an FYI - the LM2142 has a brushless motor and even more power. It is SP with no side discharge however.
Photo of Joe

Joe

I've also read some reviews that said the composite plastic versions do not allow the front of the mower to get close to objects because the blade doesn't come close enough to the front of the deck. There were also complaints the lighter plastic model bounces more while mowing leaving an uneven cut. Any of this your experiences?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

The mowers actually weigh almost the same amount with the plastic deck model being about a pound heavier than the steel deck at 62 pounds
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

The front of my 21" mower does extend more than other mowers I've had in the past. However, that's only a problem, really where there are vertical surfaces, like fencing and tree trunks, garden planters, etc... I always use my string trimmer there first because even a mower with the blade closer to the edges of the deck still can't make a flush cut with something vertical. So, it's really a non-issue to me. 
Side discharge- is that something anyone actually uses? I admit I haven't given it much thought, but I really can't think of any reason why I'd want to discharge clippings out the side of a mower. And that also refers to discharging them out the back through the rear "side discharge" of my mower.
Regarding brushless - more power and longer lifespan. My older 21" has more power than I'd ever need. Not sure about lifespan. I suppose as the brushes wear, yeah, at some point they'll need to be replaced but I imagine that's not anywhere in the near term. 
Note that these are just my thoughts and not meant to discourage anyone from purchasing what they want or wishing for something else.
It's good, though, that EGO offers these different models for people wanting different things from their tools. 
Oh, bouncing. Nope.
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Uneven cut, also not a problem unless I try to cut off too much at once or try and force the mower too fast through taller grass. Otherwise, no, a nice even cut. I know others have had uneven cut problems but I think those could either be how they are mowing or the type of grass. I think the standard blade on these mowers handles some types of grass better than others. No experience with high lift blade to have an opinion on it.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Maybe an interesting observation I've made regarding my mower. When standing behind the mower in the normal mowing position, grass can blow out from under the mower at the right front wheel. I don't notice it a lot when actually mowing, probably because the surrounding grass acts as something of a seal around the mower, but when I use the mower to vacuum leaves from the sidewalk and gutter and even the yard, I see that "air leak" with leaves and other debris blowing out there. However, if I pull the mower when passing over leaves, there doesn't seem to be as much leaves and things blowing out the right front of the mower and more of them get picked up and bagged. My assumption there is that the blade is spinning in the direction that pushes those things into the bag sooner when pulling the mower and it takes longer for those things to get to the bag when pushing, so when pushing they have to pass by that "leak area". I'm considering making some sort of height adjustable "skirt" using velcro and some somewhat firm plastic to try and reduce that air leak area. 
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Here is another choice.  Read below info and click on the video link!

EGO’s Representative sent this statement out in the summer.

Hello EGO Community! We’d like to take this opportunity to clear the air regarding our new self- propelled Dual Battery Mower (LM2142SP ). Since there has been a great deal of interest and a bit of confusion surrounding this mower, let’s jump into the facts straightaway.

-This mower’s motor is brushless.
-This mower is rated at 1200W.
-This mower’s PeakPowerTM technology delivers more torque, longer run times, and a more efficient power draw.
-This is the most powerful brushless motor in the entire EGO Power+ mower lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd85zB-59Wo

Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,152 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Joe - I had a Honda Harmony with Xenoy (plastic) deck for 13 years before I replaced it with the EGO SP plastic deck model. I was specifically looking for a plastic deck for a replacement. I've been through two full seasons and can't say the EGO is any worse than my previous 5-6 mowers. If you let the grass grow too long you may need to cut it twice with the EGO compared to my Honda.

Mike