Photo of Oscar

Oscar

• 70 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Oscar, all Ego batteries work with all Ego products. So it's kinda like having a standard battery with a choice of weight and capacity. :-)
Photo of joe

joe

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Who let Oscar in?! Just kidding. Welcome! Lots of good ideas here!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Maybe Oscar was thinking about an industry standard for batteries, like AA, AAA, D.  Whatever.  Doesn't matter which brand battery you buy, it will fit in the product.

Yeah, like that will ever happen.  when there is money to be made, why do that!

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,738 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That was my first understanding of Oscar's post as well ... he was referring to a "universal battery" that would work with EGO, Echo, and other cordless EPO.  But to your point SC, if there is money to be made, every company will make their own battery instead.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I would add to that, if your product is superior. In Ego's case, that's definitely a factor. Who else offers batteries that charge in as little as 25 minutes? :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Well if there was a standard, the EGO batteries would be the Duricell of Batteries.  Others could fall into the Dollar store brand.   :)

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

In addition to "fast" charging, who else has a "cool" built in fan to keep your battery operating at peak performance while charging?  I am certain the competition will copy EGO soon, but for now, we Reign Supreme in battery construction, power, performance, and good looks .... : )

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,236 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That sure is an "HD" comment.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,170 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, Ego's batteries have so many advantages over the competition. 56 volt, higher storage capacity and longer runtimes, charging speed, cooling, and they're made to work on all the company's tools.

If your company employs smart engineers who give your products a distinct competitive advantage, you don't share it with everybody. That's why you don't find Honda engines in Fiats.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,998 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Funny tidbit about Honda engines... they all spun counter-clockwise up until the early 2000's, opposite of everyone else's engines. This is why older Hondas have the transmission on the passenger side of the car instead of the driver side like most other cars.

Honda reversed the rotation of their engines so they could sell them to other car companies. One such arrangement was the V6 available in the Saturn Vue SUV, a Honda V6. :-)

If Ego was super serious about market domination they could release adapters that allow Ego batteries to be used on other companies tools. :-P
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Not sure if Ego really wants to make the battery work on other equipment when their tech is so good that Honda does this:

And of course that also means:

Why sell just the milk when competitors are willing to buy the whole cow?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Good call, DC! I forgot about the Honda/Ego partnership. Although, "whole cow" isn't quite accurate... there's no Honda version of the mower yet. :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

DC, I was not aware that we partner with Honda.  Saw the batteries and tools on their website.  At this point, Honda might buy the milk, the cow and the farmhouse - we might all become Honda soon!
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Honda would have to buy Chervon for that to happen... that's a BIG buy! ;-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

DC, you got the Hue a tad off  :)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

True.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You'll have to take the color issue up with Honda SCDC. Copy-paste is about the full extent of my "graphic design" skills!

http://hondanews.eu/eu/en/cars/media/...
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I thought that was a gag!  Wow.  So now EGO Rebranded.  Sigh.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It's as real as it gets!

I think it's good, and shows a lot of confidence in the technology.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,566 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Green looks better! :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,058 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed!!!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Agreed, green is easier on the eye.
(Edited)
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,566 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Now...if Honda rebrands the mower...maybe then will a great mulching blade be created. :)
(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

After further review of the Honda's website and the announcement of the EGO partnership (dated - January 2016), it looks like this offering is only for the European market.  Found another article (Just Lawnmowers Blog) pushing the new Honda cordless tools (dated March 2016) - see an example below:  It appears that this partnership is picking up "steam" fast in the European market place, which is another great validation of EGO's superior battery technology!

http://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/blog/the-brand-new-honda-56v-cordless-garden-multi-tools-range/

(Edited)