Standalone Hedger vs Multitool Hedger

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
I'm just entering into the world of Ego tools and recently purchased the backpack blower and a string trimmer. Im interested in adding a hedger to by arsenal. I noticed there's a multi tool hedger. Since I may have interest in adding a pole saw or the edger, this seems like it might be a good option. However, the hedger looks to be more for tall shrubs vs smaller ones where a standalone Hedger might work better. My question is, is the multitool with the hedger easy to use as the standalone Hedger. Especially at ground level where you're not reaching up 5, 6, 8 ft? Would I be better off with a standalone Hedger?
Photo of Daniel Aspesi

Daniel Aspesi

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,738 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I have both. If you need to work in close, more or less, get the standalone one. The multi-tool hedger without extension pole is still longer overall than the standalone hedger. If you need reach, get the longer one of course. 

Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,938 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I bought the PowerHead + Edger combo (cheapest way to get the Powerhead) and the hedge trimmer powerhead attachment. (Because I have 8' hedges, and needed the reach to trim the top without having to move a ladder every 5 feet....)

I also use the hedge trimmer to trim my lower bushes (holly & podocarpus) and it works, but certainly isn't as easy to use as the handheld hedge trimmer. (I would call the powerhead system a "pro" line of tools, they are hefty in weight (still lighter than the gas versions usually) and have a lot of power.)

Unless you need the long reach, I think you would be better served by the hand held trimmer, but I do recommend the power head and edger kit. (I also just got the cultivator attachment, which I like, and I have the 14" handheld chainsaw, so I probably won't get the pole saw attachment unless I need to trim something way up......)

(I've considered buying the handheld trimmer just for the low bushes, but it's hard to justify it's price when I have the hedge trimmer attachment for the power head that does the job with just a little extra work on my part.)
(Edited)
Photo of Sunder

Sunder

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Trimmer attachment is good for lower height shrubs with no back bending and best for high reach shrubs with no ladder climbing.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 16,070 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The multi tool attachment is reportedly much heavier than the dedicated tool. I have the multi yool with pole saw, extension and string trimmer attachments. The pole saw is heavy, but the hedge trimmer is much heavier. When I was younger, it wouldn't be a question because I still have a Echo commercial grade multi tool with pole saw and hedge trimmer on a telescoping pole. It is a beast.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,726 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I really dislike the multi-tool hedger, it's extremely heavy and awkward to deal with.  Now, the stand alone hedge trimmer is one of the best tools I've ever used!