ST1500SF Trimmer Head flew off

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
While using the ST1500SF the trimmer head flew off.  I had not noticed it being loose at any point.  I had just loaded the string in the head and I would have thought I would have noticed if it was loose.  I cannot find the flange, it must be lost in the grass somewhere.  I called about this and I am being told I need to BUY the part.  Shouldn't this be under the warranty?  Is this a design flaw?  I am concerned that this maybe on ongoing issue since I am seeing others are having the same issue.  I don't want to get hit by it if it fly's off again.  Maybe there should be a nylon type lock nut or something?  I just don't understand why the unit fails and I am paying for parts.  Just what does the warranty cover?
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated and disappointed with service

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The warranty covers anything that isn't designed to wear out and be replaced.

The trimmer head is kind of like brake pads. They usually last a long time and sometimes seem to fail prematurely. But generally not covered under warranty.
Photo of Doug

Doug

The trimmer head isn't worn out.  I have only used the trimmer for maybe 4 battery charges. It fell off because of a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw.  Because it flew off I am now missing a part.  Fortunately nobody was hurt, but now I have to pay to replace the part that should never have come off.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Well you added some additional info.  That sounds like it should be covered.  If you bought it from HD and had it less than 90 days, I would just return it for a replacement.

If not then a call to Ego customer service should get your issue taken care of.

I do not think this is an ongoing problem with the trimmer.
Photo of Portia Holliday

Portia Holliday

• 476 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I hope your missing head gets favorably resolved. This makes me happy I went with Milwaukee's new (18V) string trimmer.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Portia, this is definitely not normal for an Ego string trimmer.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The retaining nut is a self-locking nylon nut.

(a)Typical Engineer

Correction: The AH1300 (non-"F" trimmer models) has a self-locking nut.  The AH1500 (for "F" trimmer models) has a 1" tall nut, but does not have a locking element).
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I would agree that the trimmer head is a wear item, but the flange is a steel part and is not included with the trimmer head. Also, it is not available except through Ego.

This one's tough. I'd have to argue that this should be covered.

Doug, can you verify that there's a nylon locking ring in the nut? If there's not, that would definitely qualify as a "defect in workmanship" and would be the likely cause of the issue.
Photo of Doug

Doug

I am fairly certain that there is no nylon inside the nut.  I could screw it on the shaft with my fingers

(a)Typical Engineer

I think this one would have been better handled by the Home Depot 90 day return policy.  If the store happened to have an AH1500 kit in stock, they might have provided the missing parts from that. 

However, even with a non-locking nut, the trimmer is designed such that every time you operate it, the trimmer shaft is threaded such that it will self tighten.  I cannot come up with a case where the nut is installed hand-tight ONLY, and then is operated and then flies off.  Also, the bump head snaps into the base pretty securely, so even if the nut completely backed off the 1/2" of threaded shaft, the nut and washer should have still been retained inside the assembled bump head.  Most people have problems with being able to disassemble and reassemble the bump head, but I do not recall reports of the head "flying apart".
I'm not saying it's completely impossible for Ego to assemble a trimmer and have it pass four cycles of consumer operation, and then come flying apart, but the probability just seems very low...
Photo of Doug

Doug

I didn't say it flew apart, I said it flew off.  The entire head flew off.  The 1" tall nut unscrewed itself and let the head go.  You would think Ego would just want to take care of it not ask for $12 or $15 like they are doing now.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We do want to take care of this, Doug. One of our support team members will be contacting you directly via email. 
Photo of James Moriarty

James Moriarty

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Something very similar happened to me. https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/st1500f-trimmer-head-keeps-coming-off-during-use 

Response from EGO about my problem was to obtain a new flange by calling customer service. So, I called, and after another wait on the phone left a voicemail, which EGO rep instructed me to do.

I am so unimpressed that it's this difficult to get a replacement part. Also, EGO rep would not provide any commentary whether the flange was likely the problem or not. My Home Depot return expired in July. If it didn't, I would have returned it. 

I'm not feeling premium customer service or product support given the premium price. 
Photo of Doug

Doug

After posting this issue I was contacted by customer support.  They assured me that the head should not come off like that.  They also went and found a flange rather than make me wait until the got a re-supply and mailed it to me at no cost.  That is the kind of service I would have expected from the get go.  I guess it all depends who you talk to. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Glad to hear you got it taken care of Doug.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Doug, when you reassemble make sure the nut has a nylon locking bead:

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It's the blue ring in the nut:

Photo of Doug

Doug

My trimmer has a different style nut.  It is about an inch long and does not have a nylon lock.  I plan to use red loctite.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ok, so it must use the same style of nut as the string trimmer attachment since they both have the Rapid Reload head:

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Careful not to use too much locktite, you might never get it off again!
Photo of Doug

Doug

That is the correct nut.  Not to worry I am a mechanic, I understand.

Thanks