ST1500SF split shaft loose

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • In Progress
I bought the split-shaft ST1500SF last year at HD and absolutely love it, so much that I just bought the 5.0ah battery and have plans to get additional Ego tools, but I have what I feel like will soon become an issue.

The split-shaft hinge is loose. Actually, it's not the hinge itself—that's tight and solid—but where the upper shaft section enters the hinge body. It was slightly loose from the factory but has gradually gotten worse as I've used the trimmer, apparently from using the bump-feed head. I've tried tightening that screw but it won't budge and I'm afraid of breaking the screw or the hinge and then it might be seen as my fault rather than a factory defect.

Again, it's merely an annoyance now but I'm worried it will wait until the warranty runs out and then fail completely.

And I have to say I'd much rather have a solid straight shaft—preferably the carbon fiber—to avoid the hinge at all, so if a carbon fiber 1-piece shaft is available as an upgrade or replacement part, I'd be interested in that.

What are my options?
Photo of Collin

Collin

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,228 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I have the 15" split shaft trimmer and that hinge shouldn't be loose at all.
The tool has a 5 year warranty. Give EGO CS a call and they'll be able to help you. Call early in the day to avoid hold times. 
They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).