ST1500SF

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I bought the ST1500SF with the string trimmer and wanted to be able to add the edger module. Did I buy the wrong EGO device? Which one do I need?
Photo of Dondi Williams

Dondi Williams

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,254 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You need to buy the Powerhead if you want multiple attachments. It comes as a kit with trimmer and edger:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-POWER...

That kit includes the 5Ah battery as well, twice the size of the 2.5Ah battery included with the trimmers.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 50,636 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You purchased a stand alone string trimmer.  There are no additional tools to attache to it.

The powerhead PH1400 has several available attachments including a string trimmer and an edger.

There is also a kit with all 3 components MHC1502 includes the power head, string trimmer attachment and edger attachment.
https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-head/products/power-head-string-trimmer-edger-combo
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,100 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I just beat ya! :-)
Photo of Dondi Williams

Dondi Williams

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The guy at Home Depot sold me the wrong unit. Well, I did use it yesterday and liked the power and balance. I cleaned it up and put it back in the original packaging and took it back to Home Depot. Got home and ordered the kit. Thanks for the help.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 46,680 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I think you’ll like it. I’ve been using the power head system for a year now and have been thrilled with it, especially the edger.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Also, there’s a limited time deal on the Powerhead and edger attachment:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Vo...

I say limited time because I believe it’s a pricing error that will be corrected soon (this is only my opinion).
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Just be aware that if you use a 2.5Ah battery on the powerhead it may not operate at full power. This is why the 5Ah battery is included with the powerhead kits.
Photo of Sarah Capece Walsh

Sarah Capece Walsh

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Oh Dear I just bought a 2.5 for my rapid reload ST and my power head edger to minimize the weight. Was that a mistake? I have a 5 that goes with my mower
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 12,792 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
the 2.5 is good for tools that do not have a really high current drain.  As a rule of thumb, if you get more than 10 minutes of runtime on full, you should be fine.  If you get less, then you are putting too much drain on the pack, and a larger pack would handle the job better and give you a higher maximum power. the 2 and 2.5Ah packs are both single string, the 4 and 5Ah are double string (can handle double what their counterparts can handle), and the 6 and 7.5Ah packs are triple string (until EGO finds 3Ah cells that can handle high enough drain for a reasonable price, then 6Ah double string will show up).  The 2Ah cells that EGO uses can handle more drain than the 2.5Ah cells that EGO uses.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

With three strings of cells, and for the price being charged for it, the 7.5Ah battery should be upgraded to a 9Ah battery. Yes the 3000 mAh cells are not quite as good as the 2500’s, but with 50% more of them compared to the 2P 5Ah battery that’s not an issue.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 12,792 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'm guessing that you're right, but there is only one way to really find out.  Let's make one, see how long it lasts, how hot it gets, how well it powers stuff, then send it to EGO with a letter. :D

The 9Ah pack should run the 530 unit for 36 minutes on full (about a tank of gas's worth of run time and about the same weight as a gas blower and with slightly more force than most gas blowers) for approx. 32.4 minutes for the 575, and about 27 minutes for the backpack blower if I did my math right.
(Edited)