st1500 replacement spool

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
EGO Model
# AS1300
Internet # 205851304Chat Offline

15 in. Trimmer Spool for ST1501-S Cordless String Trimmer at $10.97 at home depot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-Trimmer-Spool-for-ST1501-S-Cordless-String-Trimmer-AS1300/20585...

is this the correct replacement for a st1500 ?
Photo of JW DOUBLEDAY

JW DOUBLEDAY

• 70 Points

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If you go to the 15" trimmer product info page on Ego's site, the cover on the PDF user manual reads:

56-VOLT LITHIUM-ION CORDLESS 15" STRING TRIMMER
MODEL NUMBER ST1500 (STRAIGHT SHAFT)/ ST1500-S (HINGED SHAFT)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/026...

It appears that the two models are identical except for the 1501-s having a hinge in the shaft instead of being a single solid piece. So any 15" trimmer accessories should fit both versions.
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I bought a replacement spool for my trimmer but I'm not sure why as it so easy to load line on the spool. I guess I have a spare if something goes wrong with the spool that came with the trimmer.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi JW, yes, as David mentioned, the spool you are looking at will work for the 15" String Trimmer, regardless of the model number. The only difference between the ST1500 and ST1500-S is the hinged shaft.
(Edited)
Photo of Joette Burke

Joette Burke

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I just bought this replacement spool and it does not fit!! I can't even get the original spool out!! So bummed. The spool & spool housing look nothing like the videos. There is no visible "bump head" on mine.
(Edited)

Joette, that's strange. Do you have a picture of all of the components that you received? Can you upload it here so we can take a look? All of the heads are bump heads (regardless of the model number). Perhaps you're missing the spring that makes the head actually pop out of the mechanism for bumping?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Joette, here's an exploded view of the trimmer head from the manual:

The Spool comes out with the Spool Retainer when you press the tabs in an pull it off.

The Bump Knob should be sticking out of the Spool Retainer, it's the green button in the middle. If your bump feed worked properly then the Bump Knob should have been protruding past the Spool Retainer by about an inch (roughly).

Here's a link to the manual in case you need it for reference, the string loading instructions start on page 22:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/026...
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
He must have the rapid feeder head. Is yours all black joette? The original post was over 2yrs ago.
Photo of Joette Burke

Joette Burke

Yeah, no. This is the "New! Rapid Reload Head". The spool does NOT come out of the head.
Photo of Joette Burke

Joette Burke

I just bought the line so I can reload. This should be listed on the box!!!!! Not to mention, Home Depot sold the spools directly above the product, so they obviously don't know either.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yeah, that sounds like a problem they could easily fix!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
But most of the time, HD doesn't seem to care about tool knowledge

Joette, we're sorry you got the wrong spool replacement. As you've discovered, the rapid reload head and the old spool head at not compatible. Thankfully you discovered that your line is easily replaceable (just not with a pre-wound spool). We're working hard to make sure that stores are knowledgeable on the differences in the heads. As the rapid reload head is relatively new, we're trying to get the word out as quickly as possible.
Photo of BLUDODGE

BLUDODGE

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Jennifer can the Rapid head assembly be retrofitted on the older trimmers?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It apparently fits, a few people have done it, but Ego doesn't endorse it.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.