ST1201 Brushless?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Does the current ST1201 String Trimmer model have a brushless motor or is that only found on the ST1501? Does the brushless motor help the battery run time or is this just a power advantage? Any other advantages of the brushless motor on a string trimmer? Are the truly noticeable differences and worth the $20? Or is the $20 really all about going from 12" to 15"
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 70 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Jeff, the 12"'trimmer is not brushless.

For a given amount of work done, I would expect the brushless trimmer to consume less of the battery's power. However, and this is a BIG however, the 15" trimmer has so much power that you will find yourself working it harder without even realizing it. In which case, the difference might only be getting more done in less time.

Having said that, the fact the 15" trimmer is swinging 15" of 0.095" line vs. 12" of 0.080" line means it is inherently doing more work even when it's not cutting anything, so a certain amount of its efficiency gains are going into nothing more than driving extra line. The 0.095" line is much nicer, though, and wears much slower.

My personal feeling is, if the price difference is only $20 the 15" trimmer upgrade is a no brainier. It really is a superior tool.

If all you're ever doing is trimming light grass around a small lot the 12" model is fine. No issues. But if you see yourself pushing the tool at all I'd recommend the 15" brushless model. It's one of those tools that just works so well.
(Edited)