ST1200 Trimmer collects grass under bump head which bogs the motor down.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
ST1200 Trimmer collects grass under bump head which bogs the motor down and gets shaft very hot. This has been an ongoing and frustrating problem with this weed eater for several years. I’ve since bought the 15 inch unit and love using it however I would like to get my old 12 inch unit working again to use as a backup. I’ve made sure everything is put together correctly. Just can’t stop the grass from collecting underneath. It only takes less than a minute for grass to collect. Any ideas or is this unit toast?
Photo of Doug Stevens

Doug Stevens

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,402 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Post pics of the issue. Might help with some ideas for a fix.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 158,138 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Doug, you might want to double check that the trimmer head is assembled correctly. Here’s an exploded view:

You can find the manual here if necessary:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/026...

If it all looks good there may be nothing you can do about the issue beyond trimming the grass down in stages so the clippings aren’t long enough to wrap around the spindle.
Photo of Doug Stevens

Doug Stevens

Photo of Doug Stevens

Doug Stevens

Top picture shows how it looks before I go to use it. The very thin washer is used under the spindle. The middle picture shows after about five minutes of very light weed eating. I’m not weed eating brush. Just lawn bahia grass. The bottom picture shows what the cord holder looks like mounted to the weed eater.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 158,138 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That’s ugly... no doubt. It may just be that the combination of your grass type and trimming style is something that the 12 inch trimmer can’t handle.

Though it certainly would appear that the design could have done better to protect the shaft from grass build up, I must say that complaints of this nature have been very few and far between for the 12 inch trimmer. I believe the 15 inch trimmer is protected better.

Perhaps someone else who has experienced this issue with the 12 inch trimmer can chime in and offer their thoughts or fix?