spring clean up and mulching

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
Cleaned out the flower beds and under shrubs yesterday.  The roses had one bale of straw distributed around their root crowns and the shrubs had several bushels of last years leaves under them to protect them from  freezing over the winter.  Used a blower to remove and blow all this out into the yard, we have 8 large spruce trees and their cones already in the yard. Spruce cones are more like corn cobs than the harder cones of pines.  Instead of gathering this all up in, usually, 3,  55 gal contractor trash bags we mulched them.  Having just purchase a LM2102SP, and the grass still not growing, I spread this detritus around the yard and mulched it all with my new mower set at #2 height. Went slow, and went over it first one way and then cross way and it all mulched into the lawn.  Did not use the mower in the self propelled mode and the result is a fine leave/straw mulch?.. on the grass that is still only about 1 to 2 inches high. The cones and twigs were not a problem, and tho the blade is still reasonably sharp I will remove, sharpen, and reinstall it before I get to mow the lawn first time.  
Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

• 2,864 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,240 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Nice report and great info on the operation of the mower to create mulch out of more than just the grass it is cutting.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nice... kinda like a lawn "garburator". :-)
Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

"lawn garburator"....I love it! ... I'll name my mower the...  "Garburator"    
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
EGarburator?
Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

Better yet!
Photo of Bev Morgan

Bev Morgan

• 652 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I actually do this a lot with my clippings from my holly bush, I just thought it was a great way to get rid of them and not get stuck by them and it would be good for my lawn
(Edited)