spool retainer worn away

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • In Progress
Purchased a trimmer at the start of the summer. Very powerful. Works great. Wouldn't mind a longer battery life, but I' dealing. However I have already worn through the spool retainer. Is it possible to purchase just this part rather than the entire head? If this part cannot be made of a more durable material I will be replacing the spool retainer on a regular basis.
Photo of Jeffrey Stern

Jeffrey Stern

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of james

james

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Jeffrey! I suggest reloading the spool with the thickness you like. The process is very simple compared to other trimmers. Ego has a video you can review or go to YouTube. However, Home depot does carry the extra spoils.
Photo of Jeffrey Stern

Jeffrey Stern

james - thanks for your response but you are missing the issue. It has nothing to do with the line. It's what ego calls the spool retainer. This is the snap on top of the spool head, the part that spins against the ground. It is what has completely worn away. It needs to be made of a tougher material. It is what I would like to replace without having to purchase an entire head.
Photo of Dave Kraig

Dave Kraig

• 70 Points
We paid nearly $200 for the EGO ST1500F trimmer thinking we were getting a reliable strong product that would last a long time. Instead, my wife wore through the spool retainer head in a year and now we must replace it at a cost of $40. We have had low-price trimmers in the past and never wore out a head until this one. The only reason I bought this one was for the powerful battery and cutting. It worked well but $40/year to maintain is it ridiculous. EGO knows this head wears out rapidly but they keep producing it rather than redesign one that lasts a few years. It must be a nice profit generator for them but this will be the one and only EGO product we purchase, live and learn!

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I do not think their business model is based on $40 spool heads.
Although there have been some posts on this board about worn spool heads, there have also been posts from users stating their spool heads show no wear,  So, it is likely a limited issue and not a "known problem and profit generator"

Do you ride the trimmer on cement for a lot of your use?
Any other aspect of your use that could be contributing to the excess wear?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,960 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, I've been using my original 15-inch trimmer for four years now and the spool head has some scuffs and that's it. I don't understand how they can be worn through in a year.

This is one of those situations where I'd like to see video of how the user is using the tool.
Photo of Dave Kraig

Dave Kraig

• 70 Points
i rarely use it, my wife does. i don't doubt she taps it on something solid to get the line to advance but she is not prone to abusing things, definitely not riding it on cement, lol. as i said, she used the exact same techniques with out other bump trimmers and never wore through a spool head and those were cheapies!
Photo of james

james

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Sorry about that! For me if mine breaks I will buy the new head that has the easy loading ability.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,452 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That's not really a supported option (per Ego), and here's some technical basis why:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/technical-review-ah1500-rapid-reload-gen-2-vs-ah1300-b...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,590 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Jeffrey, what kind of terrain are you trimming in or bump feeding on? As far as I can remember you are the first with the issue of wearing out the retainer.
Photo of Jeffrey Stern

Jeffrey Stern

First, I have enough edges to trim that it requires about 6 battery recharges. The roughest terrain is the grass growing up between stones that surround a pool. At one point I made an aluminum cap that I was able to screw onto the retainer. Went right through that in one go. Open to suggestions.

(a)Typical Engineer

Do you have pictures?
Photo of Jeffrey Stern

Jeffrey Stern

It's current state.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,384 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
When new I noticed the head extends further down from the string than my previous trimmer. So I switched to trimming from the grass side. You must be spinning the head against the concrete.

6-battery charges, WOW!!! Which battery? How many lineal feet? Maybe lots of energy going into grinding the head away?

(a)Typical Engineer

Looks like your two options are: 1) buy a box of spool retainers, or 2) change that way you're using the trimmer.  It looks like you are trimming on/near very abrasive surfaces, so you'd either have to ease up on the pressure, and minimize contact between the trimmer retainer and the abrasive surface, or go back to option #1 above. 

While the trimmer isn't the hardest of plastics, it's not super soft plastic either.  I guess if a lot of people post that they have a similar issue, then it could be a batch of soft plastic that got mixed up?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,738 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
So you are allowing the head to "rest" on the ground while you are trimming? If so, nothing you buy will last. I agree with changing the way you are using the trimmer.