Space under rubber paddle?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Is there supposed to be a space between the paddle/auger and the pavement? I tried out my new snow thrower for the first time yesterday and was disappointed that it didn't clean down to the pavement. There seems to be a 1/16" - 1/8" gap between the rubber paddle and the ground. I had to tilt the machine up so the paddle would scrape the pavement cleanly. This made it hard to push. This doesn't seem right, but it's a brand new machine. I will need to return it if there isn't a way to adjust it for better contact with the pavement.
Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,224 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The paddles do not contact the surface.  Rather the scrapper bar does and cleans my driveway down to the surface very well.  No tilting needed.
Photo of Michael Millan

Michael Millan

• 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
There must be something wrong with the unit. I purchased a brand new ego snow blower and used it for about 8 inches of heavy wet snow. It did a great job in scraping the driveway as well as clearing the snow... look into this concern.
Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

Thank you. I should have been more clear. The rubber is not touching the pavement. As a result, there's a thin coating of snow left behind after rolling the thrower normally. Only by tilting it can I get a clean pass.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 68,186 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Check the scraper bar and make sure it is contacting the ground.  Perhaps it was not installed correctly or tightened.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 32,840 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I also bought my snow blower and used this Monday with great success. I used to have a Craftsman Two Stage snow blower, which I sold this year. The EGO snow blower did a better job scraping the snow off of my driveway vs my old gas one. So I agree with Szwoopp regarding the scrapper bar, it should be touching the surface. If not, then it was not put on correctly which should be an easy adjustment.
Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

I'm not sure how to make that adjustment. Ego's customer service said to just exchange the blower.
Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

The cleaner parts of the driveway are closest to the garage where I was standing, and some had melted already. But you can see where the driveway turns that there's still a coating of snow where I had cleared. I really hope this isn't the best that the blower can do. I'd like to see black pavement after I clear.

I did call customer support, and they said to exchange the unit.

Photo of walt

walt

• 608 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yes, that looks pretty good, about what my EGO snow blower does.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 5,130 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Wow, to be honest...that looks pretty good. Have you ever owned a snow blower before? After 20+ years of operating gas snow blowers I'd be happy with those results. I suppose it comes down to expectations. In the above picture, my wife would say good job but I had a grandmother that would be telling me to work at it some more. I don't think you have have a defective snow blower here and have some doubts another EGO snow blower will do much better. More often than not, a snow blower's performance is also dependent on the "quality" of the snow that fell.
Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

My Toro gas snowthrower would clean much better that that.  The Ego leaves enough snow on the ground that if it's cold enough, i.e. subzero,  as it can get here in Minnesota, that coating of snow would just become ice and be dangerous to walk on. I'm disappointed so far in the Ego's performance.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,362 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I don't have, or need, a snow blower but that looks great to me.
It's interesting in that most people that come on here want to raise the scraper somewhat because it tends to catch on things because it drags on the surface and you are wanting just the opposite. Not saying that's a bad thing, just interesting how we want different things from our tools.
Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

My driveway is less than three years old and in near perfect shape, so I'd prefer a scraper that makes contact with the pavement.
Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

Here is another photo of the far side of the driveway where the snow didn't melt.  Most of the driveway still has a thin layer of snow after running the snow blower over it. 

T
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 5,130 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Let us know if you see improvement on the exchange. I'm here in South Dakota and understand your concerns. Sometimes though, as you know, these first storms hit the warm pavement and refreezes making it difficult to remove that coating no matter what the snow blower. You have a pretty long driveway, I'm surprised your previous snow blower wasn't a two-stage. If I had your driveway, I don't think I'd do it without a self-propelled. Wish EGO would make a self-propelled two-stage.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,188 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you sure this is not the dusting that inevitably comes back to your work area as you blow snow into the air while using the snow blower.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 52,554 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This may be a case of unreasonable expectations, because that looks pretty good. The scraper on the Ego blower does about as good a job as any blower I've heard of. Certainly better than two-stage blowers (speaking strictly of scraper contact with the pavement). And some people complain that it's too good and they want to raise it up higher.

I suspect the replacement unit won't be any different.
(Edited)
Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

Yes, quite sure it's not a dusting. You can see lines from the slight irregularities in the rubber auger.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Again the rubber auger does not contact the surface. The scrapper bar does contact the surface and does a good job of cleaning down to the surface.  If you wer tilting the machine to get the auger to touch the surface, you would not get a good result.  Perhaps you should try using it again in the way it was designed to be used rather than the way your old machine worked.

pictures from Ego website reviews

From the manual - the scrapper bar is the part that cleans the surface

Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

It's a brand new machine. I've cleared the driveway twice--the first time tilting the machine (and getting down to bare pavement), and the second time rolling it naturally, which left a coating of snow that melted and refroze into ice and almost caused me to slip.  I expect you're trying to be helpful, but you don't seem to believe me when I say that there is too much snow left on the driveway after "using the machine the way it was designed."  I am exchanging the unit as advised by the company, and we'll see if "the way it was designed" will satisfy my expectations.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I have no reason to doubt you. Just trying to establish intended operation and possible root of the problem. As I and others get snow cleared to the surface Good luck with the replacement machine
Photo of Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
DevonTT, I don't know of a blower that could do much better than this. 2-stage blowers would likely do worse.
Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

I hate to disagree, but in my experience, a Toro gas thrower has resulted in a much cleaner pass across my driveway. BTW, when I walked across my driveway this evening, the snow left behind had melted  then refroze into ice, and I almost slipped. This is my biggest concern with the performance of the Ego.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,282 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It seems you got one that doesn't scrape so maybe an exchange, if the scraper can't be adjusted, may be the way for you to go. Hoping you keep us up to date on how it goes.
Photo of Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

Actually upon examination on mine, the auger should NOT touch the surface.  The scraper bar scoops the snow into the auger.  I had a Toro, not a bad machine but 2 cycle.  You can't get those any more but it was a performer.  But do this:  look at your scraper edge and make sure it is contacting the surface.  It might be out of adjustment.  Maybe got dinged in shipping.  Don't give up!  And let us know how thing turn out!
Photo of Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

One other thing, can you scrape that snow of with a snow shovel?  If you can then the EGO should be able to also.  Same technology at the surface level.  (My god I've been thinking about this all day now..!!)
Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

Yes, it was only 1/2" of light powder.
Photo of DevonTT

DevonTT

Is the height of the scraper user-adjustable?
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 8,718 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Negative.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 5,128 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If the scraper is installed correctly, the issue isn't so much the scraper not being adjustable, but the entire auger housing not being adjustable through skid shoes. DevonTT as mentioned before, the biggest complaint most people have on the scraper is that it sits TOO LOW causing you to stop and slightly lift the snow blower at every crack in your driveway or sidewalk. Your complaint of the scraper being too high is the outlier which is why there is so much discussion here. So I can see why EGO recommended you try swapping your snow blower with a new one.  Although, I suspect you might also be a little more particular on the results than most. From the pictures it looks like your driveway is black asphalt which makes any snow left really standout too.