So what is the combined weight of the power head (w/battery) and string trimmer?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
i'm trying to see how the weight of the power head with trimmer compares to the Ego stand alone trimmer.  Can't find specs on this.  Thanks.
Photo of wayne

wayne

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Its quite a bit heavier. Probably 1.5x at least. But shoulder strap and your good
Photo of Patt

Patt

• 416 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm wondering why the shoulder strap doesn't come with the trimmer? Will it come with the kit (free) or not.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I dunno. We shall see.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It's noticeably heavier, and the weight somehow feels more awkwardly distributed—or maybe I am just not used to the feel of it yet.

Either way, the 15" trimmer is one of my favorite tools I've ever owned, truly a joy to use. The power head is more versatile, but a tool designed for one purpose is nearly always better. If you don't need a pole saw or bladed edger (or one of the attachments coming in the near future) then go with the 15" trimmer.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I am in total agreement here with DC. The 15" trimmer is by far the best EGO tool I have ever owned. It's not the only EGO tool I have in my possession, but it is my favorite I used week in and week out .... nothing more to say :-)
(Edited)
Photo of wayne

wayne

Thanks for the comments.  It seems the new power head system may then be too cumbersome for my wife, who is often the primary user.
   But for those who like the 15" edger, which model do you like?  The website is very confusing,listing only one with a "straight shaft" but all of them show a straight shaft.  Some say "split" but is still straight, and there are different heads, which are often the major problem.  
Thanks for any insight.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wayne, the split shaft models have a hinge in the shaft that gets permanently locked in place once set up. It is only really designed to fold for shipping.

The newer head is the Rapid Reload model. The original model is being discontinued.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The shaft is the same on all, some come as a single piece and others have to be assembled upon arrival, but once assembled the coupler in the middle is the only way to tell them apart.

The 15" originally came with a standard head, but was released with a "rapid reload" head last year. Personally I prefer the original, which is the easiest to reload that I have ever used. The rapid reload doesn't seem siginigicantly easier or faster to wind, but is significantly bulkier, and thus comes with a bulkier guard and cannot fit in many places that the original version can.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Did the guard change on the RR model? I thought only the head changed? Are you referring to the string trimmer attachment for the PH system?
(Edited)
Photo of wayne

wayne

So is the split shaft more likely to fail? Why would 2 models with different prices be sold if they are equally reliable?
  i guess having a bulkier head might be OK if the string doesn't bind up, but frankly i've never had any trimmer head that works as advertised.  
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I would say the joint is the strongest point and very unlikely to fail.

I am basing my review of the rapid reload head on the power head trimmer, which does have a larger guard.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I've never heard a complaint about the split shaft models. Mine is a straight shaft, it's just what was available at the time.

The original head is fantastic. I haven't used the RR head, but I can't see it being of less functionality than the original. As D.C. points out, it does look a little bigger.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
My 15" trimmer is a split shaft model and it is nearly 2 years old. Never once did I experienced any issues with the split shaft coming loose ... once again, the best tool I have owned from EGO, nothing more to say .... :-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've had the split shaft for two years, too, and it's solid as a rock. It's designed to be bolted together after unpacking and left that way. It was designed that way mostly to fit in a smaller, easier-to-transport box. It's easier to get home from the store if you don't have a big SUV or minivan.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I checked both the US and U.K. sites, and HD; none have this info. And while one of us here could run out to the garage and throw it on a scale; basic info like weight, dimensions and performance specs (like motor RPM) should be provided by the OEM.

In another thread I answered the total length of the pole saw with extension but what if I messed up the answer? More complex questions like opinions (how is the balance) could be answered by the community but basic specs are squarely on the shoulders of the maker.

In fact, I would want to officially publish the specs on the company webpage rather than drive a customer to a reseller's website where they could have corrupted the info.

Recommendation: Ego, have the Marketing Team get the specs from Engineering Team and then have the IT Team post it. Depending on customers to provide that info is not World Class.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The PH manual IS a little bit "light" on info, *chuckle*

(a)Typical Engineer

Next they'll remove the parts lists... oh wait, they already deleted the parts list from the new 1500-"F" Rapid Reload head trimmer.  I went looking to see if I could find if the gen 1 and gen 2 had the same shield... guess we'll never know.  I'm pretty sure that the Engineering department *HAS* the specifications, as it would be very difficult to design and build something without it, so we'll  blame the tech writer (of the manuals), since they would be the next responsible party (note: they could have put it in and been over ridden by sales/marketing/management, and told to take it out).
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,208 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Gentlemen! Believe it or not, this is not a conspiracy to withhold information. We are working on getting you the weight details right now, and we’ll post it as soon as we have it.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Careful Amber, national security is at risk here! :-)

In all seriousness, I think the PH manual should tell us a little more than just the voltage of the batteries it takes. Though, I guess that could be helpful in case someone was confused as to why their 18V power tool batteries didn't seem to fit correctly! Lol :-)
Photo of Amber F.

Official Response
*****BIG NEWS: We have the official specs!!! The string trimmer is 3.25lbs and the Power Head is 5.9lbs. So, if you’re using a 2.5Ah battery, the total weight will be... <drum roll>  11.92lbs. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Thanks Amber! Can you break down the power head trimmer weight into separate weights for the power head and for the trimmer attachment?

And (though perhaps off topic for this thread) can we also get weights for the other attachments?

(a)Typical Engineer

The ST1500-F (RR head) is 7.33 lbs, so 10.1 lbs (w/ 2.5 AH).

The ST1500 (bump head) is 6.7 lbs, so 9.45 lbs (w/ 2.5 AH).

However, the PH1400/STA1500 feels a lot heavier than 2.0 lbs more... but that must be just the feel of it.  I made a post talking about the CoG and balance here:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/ph1400-sta1500-vs-st1500-f-center-of-gravity-balance-i...

And for anyone who misses the lightweight of the 12", 6.28 lbs, so 9.03 lbs. (w/ 2.5 AH).

(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,030 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
David I think she did
Powerhead 5.9 lbs
String trimmer attachment 3.25 lbs
2.5Ah battery 2.77 lbs
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Thanks, poor reading comprehension on my part. Don't read and respond to email while mowing the lawn.

(a)Typical Engineer

Do you have a smartphone or tablet mount on your mower handle, because you might have voided your warranty...
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

No, after starting it's pretty easy to operate one-handed.
Photo of wayne

wayne

So coming back to my original question, how does it compare to the stand alone trimmer?  The issue of the center of gravity being closer to the head would seem to make it less comfortable for a short person, since the trimmer head is further away.  But that also depends on the weight.   It's for my wife and i think she'll get the stand alone model for this reason. 
Photo of Amber F.

David, the edger weighs in at 5.29lbs and the pole saw is 4.85lbs.

(a)Typical Engineer

And the complete answer would be, PH1400 w/ 2.5 AH battery:

Edger: 13.96 lbs.

Pole Saw (w/o extension): 13.52 lbs.

Pole Saw (w/ 31" extension, EP7500): 15.02 lbs.

EP7500 weight from the Amazon listing:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5UZQL9/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,786 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Tool Weight in pounds - from Amazon and UK listings + 2.5 Ah battery

Batteries (Ah - Lb)
2.0 - 2.4 
2.5 - 2.8 
4.0 - 4 
5.0 - 4.9
7.5 - 6.3 
— 
Tools
Power head - 5.9
String Trimmer - 3.25 
Edger - 5.29  
Brush cutter - 4.01 
Pole Saw - 4.85 
Extension pole - 1.54 
— 
Combined weights:
String trimmer + Power head = 9.15 + 2.5 Ah battery = 11.95 
Edger + Power head = 11.19 + 2.5 Ah battery = 13.99 
Brush cutter + Power head = 9.91 + 2.5 battery = 12.71
Pole Saw + Power head = 10.75 + 2.5 Ah battery  - 13.55 
Pole Saw + extension + Power head = 12.29 + 2.5 Ah battery = 15.09

(Edited)
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

Question - can the extension pole be used with the string trimmer and (UK) brush cutter?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,754 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It is designed and expressly intended for use with the pole saw and hedge trimmer attachments. 

Mechanically/Physically it would probably fit on any power head attachment as it has the same male/female connectors, but Ego does not recommend it and it would likely void your warranties.

(Edited)
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

Using it with the string trimmer (and brush cutter) to reach into and across ditches would be helpful.   

I'm looking for a tool to cut grapevine out of trees and down in gullies.   Will need a long reach.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Its going to put a lot of side load on the tool which could bend the shaft. But, give it a shot. Keep in mind that the couple will probably fail if you use it too aggressively