Snowblower suggestion

• Idea
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Under Consideration
Just received the snowblower.. living on Canada's North-East coast (Labrador), we measure snow in feet and meters, not inches or centimeters. Discovered immediately that the snowblower relies on a solid footing on which to 'roll', next to useless on 'snow', like trying to push an 80 pound baby around in a stroller on snow. Within 2 hours I had removed the wheels and replaced with a set of home made wooden 'runners' on which the snowblower slides on top of the snow. Ego should consider a set of skis that can be used in place of the wheels.
Photo of Robert Andersen

Robert Andersen

• 254 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,112 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Robert,

You should obtain a patent for those runners and sell them (smile).
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 12,132 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Robert, with that much snow, I would try to blow every 8-10" or so unless that's impractical to do. The design of the EGO wasn't for that volume of snow, but glad you figured a workaround.
Photo of Robert Andersen

Robert Andersen

The 'runners' work, the blower now slides across the top of the snow as you blow the snow, this was a quick and hurried fix to get the blower out and in use... will take the time to make a better set of 'runners' in the days to come. I was quite surprised by how much power this battery operated snowblower really has, will come in handy on those lighter snow days.
(Edited)
Photo of Robert Andersen

Robert Andersen

Tried uploading a few photos of the alteration, only allowed one photo at a time. Made from an 8 foot length of 2x6 lumber and a set of skis salvaged from an old childs  'gt style' sled. The piece that runs across the back not only helps keep the 'runners' in line, but also serves as a place to use a foot to give the blower an extra push when needed. In this photo, the blower has been tipped back to show how it pivots on the wheel shaft, giving control over depth of cut when snowblowing.
Photo of Robert Andersen

Robert Andersen

•  Holes were drilled and counter-bored to accept the original wheel bolts.
Photo of Robert Andersen

Robert Andersen

I plan on making new 'runners' that will instead have slots into which the wheels will fit, giving the ability to change from runners to wheels effortlessly.
Photo of Chung Tong

Chung Tong

• 296 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
that's a tank! i too find it difficult to push it at times, especially if the snow is slushy and heavy. there's definitely potential on how modern snow blowers can work.
Photo of Robert Andersen

Robert Andersen

A note to EGO regarding this 'alteration'... If and when you do release a new updated snowblower ( 2 stage ? ) maybe increase the distance between the main auger and wheel attachment point, allowing the use of longer 'skis' which would surely make the snowblower attractive to a much larger customer base.